Trusted Contributor
On 7/20/2014 just bee said:
On 7/20/2014 Dosey said:

I still have a few things on hold. They are long-sleeve, layering turtlenecks. I am not sure about these. They are in great shape, but I am not always comfortable wearing two layers on my arms indoors. If the heat is set too high, I am miserable. Because these tops do not look good (to me) on their own, taking off a layer would not be an option. I bought these when it was trendy to wear a short-sleeve layer over a long-sleeve top.

Uh-oh. Is that trend over already? Shhhhhh. Let's just keep that to ourselves, shall we?

I think it is. Maybe not. You know, I'm really not sure.

Paws and enjoy life.
Honored Contributor
On 7/20/2014 Dosey said:
On 7/20/2014 just bee said:
On 7/20/2014 Dosey said:

I still have a few things on hold. They are long-sleeve, layering turtlenecks. I am not sure about these. They are in great shape, but I am not always comfortable wearing two layers on my arms indoors. If the heat is set too high, I am miserable. Because these tops do not look good (to me) on their own, taking off a layer would not be an option. I bought these when it was trendy to wear a short-sleeve layer over a long-sleeve top.

Uh-oh. Is that trend over already? Shhhhhh. Let's just keep that to ourselves, shall we?

I think it is. Maybe not. You know, I'm really not sure.

The short-sleeve tee over a long-sleeve tee is my formal look. That's when I pull out all the stops and get gussied up.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Good grief -- I used to be a dedicated follower of fashion. When did my style devolve to the three basic stages of dog-walking apparel?

Don't toss those long-sleeve turtles just yet. I love to see a turtleneck under an oversized sweatshirt or a man's shirt. Think Kate Hepburn. Or me. Walking a dog.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor
On 7/20/2014 Fabby said:

Hello - so glad to see this post, been thinking about you guys. Someone recently said something that caused me to realize I am shopping almost all the time now. Even if I'm not in a B&M store, I am online shopping, or watching 1 out of 4 shopping channels. Even if I'm not buying anything, I am still shopping. I need to curtail my endless surfing online and TV watching. Have others noticed this 24/7 shopping?

YES!! I do not want to admit to how much I just THINK about shopping. I look at sites on my phone. Now, can I really see the details of what I am looking at on a tiny phone? Heck no, but I still look. Really, really close.

When I was going through my shoes, I noticed that my black flats were gone. Then I remembered that I threw them out months ago because they were in such bad shape. Black flats are a staple. I wear them frequently in the fall and winter. These must be replaced very soon. Also, my slim, dark blue jeans are no longer dark. Not even close. I bought them from Chico's a few years ago and love them. They, too, are a staple that I wear regularly and must be replaced. Chico's is having a 35% off sale. I could buy them now except we went on vacation this month. The hotel bill is on its way. My kids need school supplies, etc. I should not be buying myself a thing, but now I am thinking about black flats and slim jeans. What if the jeans sell out? What if Chico's doesn't have another good sale soon? What if, what if, what if! Then, I remember the elongated drop earrings I saw on a stranger. I want to find those. How about the Cole Haan kitten heel pumps? It goes on and on and on.

When I was reading the Recovering Shopaholic blog, I found myself envious of the author's $250 monthly clothing budget. This is a reduction for her but would be quite an increase for me. I tell myself that I do not need to spend $250 each month on clothing. Besides, I truly would rather put the money elsewhere, but it would be nice to have that kind of money a couple of times of year to update my wardrobe quickly instead of choosing a couple of things to buy and putting the rest on hold (or eliminating some things).

Yes, shopping is on my radar, and there are too many roads that lead to shopping. I have been watching the shopping channels less (except when Vera Bradley is on only because I like to see how the models are styled and get ideas). I eliminated some of the additional channels that we added last year, so now ShopHQ is gone. Staying out of the stores helps, but I will be shopping for my kids very soon. Temptation will be everywhere. The internet is a problem, but I try to stay away. It's not just clothing, either. I browse online for household stuff.

So far, I have been pretty good at telling myself no. Not perfect but good.

Paws and enjoy life.
Honored Contributor

Ode to the Black Turtleneck...

Honored Contributor

Dosey -- I hear ya on the basic black flat and the dark blue denim. I wore this black flat to death.

Honored Contributor

What do you think of the Alegria Pesca?

I have it in pink.

Good thing they don't have a red one.

Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2014 -- July

[ Edited ]

Well,I did it!! Went through my closet (I only got rid of 5 things, but had gone through it a few months ago and REALLY did a big purge then), and reorganized things. I also straightened up my purses, as well as going through the cabinet under my bathroom sink. Got rid of some stuff there, too. All the clothes/shoes and MU items I'll give to my mom. She's a little taller and thinner than me, but we can share lots of stuff, and she'll for sure wear the shoes. I just need to go through my MU stash and get rid of stuff. This is always the hardest thing. I was looking at all the skincare, hair products, hand soap, etc hubby and I have (yes I stock up for him during liter and hairspray sales, too!!), and while we have a lot, it's all stuff we use on a daily basis, so I'm comfortable with it. I think I'll take pics so I can see where we are in about 11 months when I need to restock again. Maybe it will help me to not over or under buy on things. I'll probably try to do the MU tomorrow 

Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2014 -- July

[ Edited ]

I bought a Sterilite 3-drawer system today and did away with the basket on my bathroom counter. I just lost products too easily in there, so just kept reaching got the same things. I was starting to get bored and miss some of my stuff!! I REALLY want the muji 5- drawer acrylic set, but it's never in stock. To be honest, when it comes in stock, I'll probably buy two. They just look so much nicer than the plastic stuff, but for $8, it was worth it -- for now. Smiley Wink So, I got rid of a bag of stuff. Some to give my mom, some to chunk. It does look much neater and I just feel like I'll be using more things. I also found some things from kits I'd been meaning to sell, so I'll do that this week. Overall, it just feels and looks better. Oh, I went through the bottom (oft neglected) cabinets in the pantry at about 10 last night. Today, while I was "getting after it" and chunking stuff here and there, hubby said, "why are you on a rampage to get rid of things???" Let's just say I had a pretty rough day, so I was great therapy to rid my life of unneeded C R @ P!!!!! Since I've basically gone through the house, there's no telling what's next........

Respected Contributor
It always feels great when you clear some clutter and get things out of the house. You almost just feel light. Some of you ladies are motivating me to clear out things again. Although, I am at the point where I need to start selling some things or try to anyway. I dont think people are into collectibles anymore but I have to at least try. One thing is for sure, paperwork is getting the best of me. In August, I am making it my only goal. Not only organizing it, but really know what is going on. I miss so many things because I am not paying attention. If I can only focus my attention here and not on shopping, I would be cooking with oil, or is that gas?

I cannot believe we are nearing the end of July. It really is amazing how time flies. I havent even been to the beach yet. I like to at least go a couple of times of year. Not quite sure I will make it.

Have a great decluttered day, ladies.