Occasional Contributor

Hi! It's been a long time since I've posted here but I've been reading. I've done pretty well in 2013, and am on a no buy for January too. Don't need a thing. Aren't we all blessed?! I still struggle with those coupons they send me, but have been good about pitching them lately. Been shopping my stash. Here's to reducing/repurposing for 2014!!

Respected Contributor

annacat-a No Buy January can actually be whatever you want it to be. You can just decide that you won't buy lipgloss or nailpolish or body wash or shoes. Whatever you choose. There's no hard and fast rules here, we each do what works for us.

I am so sorry to hear that your experimental medications were denies. I do hope that everything works out for you and that you are able to get what you need to be more comfortable.

Respected Contributor

We're only 3 days into January and I already have to confess that I broke the No Buy. But it's not totally my fault! My husband and I went out to dinner last night, which is rare, his parents came over to babysit. After we ate he said "We're right by the mall, let's go to BBW and see if there's anything you want with your gift cards". (Two of them came from his mom). I tried to explain that I didn't need anything right now and that they never expire, but he was pretty insistent, and I don't know why. I think he just wante to stay out a little longer while we had a sitter.

So we go to the mall and to BBW. They're having a big Semi-Annual sale going on right now of course. I wander around, check everything out, smell a bunch of items that I'd never smelled before because I usually shop online. There were some nice items, but nothing jumped out at me that I had to have. I decided to buy a Wexler cleanser because I will need a nighttime cleanser in the next couple of months and a Warm Vanilla Sugar Fragrance Mist because I'm out, I love the scent, and I have Triple Moisture Cream already here to go with it, and it was on sale for $5. So I bought those 2 items only. I ignored all the 75% off deals, all the awesome sales, and only bought what I truly wanted, not just a bunch of stuff because it was on sale. So it was a small victory in that way, the rock bottom sales usually always pull me in!

Now I'm recommitting to no more unnecessary purchases for the rest of the month.

Respected Contributor
Annacat, sorry to hear you are in so much pain. Hang it there and don't give up, I will pray your treatments come through. Make your no buy January anything you need it to be. It's not about not spending or depriving yourself. ...and certainly food is ALLOWED. Lol
Trusted Contributor

rnmom - I call that a big victory!!! The B&BW semi annual sales are just evil since they are too tempting!! They have all their big signs shouting out the good deals. It's very impressive to to in and buy only 2 items during that sale. I'm avoiding going by their store until the sale is over. Even though I know I don't need anything, I know this sale is just too big of a temptation.

annacat - the no buy and this thread in general is what each person makes of it! No harsh rules. Just very kind supportive people chatting about compacting in general.

This morning, I had a flat tire on my car. I guess I'll be using the money I "saved" not buying fun stuff to pay for car repairs. Isn't that fun? lol. But I shouldn't complain due to it's been horrid cold lately and it's at least been starting really well in the cold.

Have a good weekend everyone!!

Respected Contributor
Rnmom, sounds like you found a good buy and on something you love and use. I wouldn't of let that go either. I almost broke it myself. I almost bought a jacket that is wind and rain resistant. With the weather we have been having, I could use one that looks half decent. If it fit and it was on sale, it would of been mine but it didn't feel comfortable. January is a little tough with the sales especially for things you can use. I think the main thing is not buying things "just" because they are on sale or, at least, that's true for me. Your husband sounds like a sweetie.
Honored Contributor
On 1/2/2014 DL2843 said: Mmom I understand your feelings of deprivation. I have gone through the same thought process. Every day we are inundated with messages about how we deserve a little treat. My question is how do we live in society and ignore big brother?

Vote Libertarian!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor
On 1/2/2014 gammaO said:

Hi Ladies.

I'm a long time lurker. My question is this: Do you still watch presentations of products you like? I'm a long time Philosophy gal and Skinn fan. Demitri could sell snow to Eskimos!

To address your question, I really don't watch the presentations anymore. I try to avoid online browsing and I avoid stores. I went to Walgreens this morning to buy hard candy for the jar I keep at work for everyone. It's our community candy jar. (Maybe I expected others to contribute to it, too, but this is a valuable lesson about commun-anything. One person with candy supports the group's sweet tooth.) Anyway, I actually walked through parts of the store that I know to avoid. I went right through the beauty aisles and saw that my favorite Lumene product was close-out priced. CHEAP even. I would have bought every bottle on the shelf, then driven to other stores to snatch their stock, too. But today I didn't do it. I kept on walking.

Then I saw the cutest dog calendar for $2. Photos of my favorite breeds looking extraordinarily cute. But I already have a Wounded Warriors calendar on the fridge so I kept walking.

I went there to buy work candy and that's all I bought. Discipline! That, and I've just become kinda cheap in my old age. I've been more and more frugal since 9/11/2001 and it's become a habit. I have more than I need and I can't keep collecting what I won't use.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor
On 1/2/2014 Vickaroo said:

Hi! It's been a long time since I've posted here but I've been reading. I've done pretty well in 2013, and am on a no buy for January too. Don't need a thing. Aren't we all blessed?! I still struggle with those coupons they send me, but have been good about pitching them lately. Been shopping my stash. Here's to reducing/repurposing for 2014!!

I'll add you to the list! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor
On 1/2/2014 annnacat said:

I got some devastating news today. My doc has been working to get me an experimental treatment for pain and medicare has denied all our requests and appeals. I have requested my docs to give me assistance in ending my life if nothing has been arraigned to treat my pain in the next 4 months.

Its not what I want to do but I cannot live in this much pain much longer. I meet the criteria in my state and will follow through if a miracle does not occur in this time frame.

Sorry to post something so negative but the cuts the President made to medicare in order to pass the ACA (which I still support) made it unbearable for many of us to live anymore and I may be the canary in the coal mine and I will go very publicly so my death might help others so they will not have to face this decision too because what happens to the first of us forced to make this choice because care we need is being denied. My death might help others get the treatment they need.

And the awful thing about this is that this treatment when considered over the course of my expected lifetime will cost a fraction of the other drugs I would need if I continued to take them!

My new goal is not to spend recklessly knowing I will die soon and maintain mindful spending and not leave a mess for others to have to fix.

Thank you for feeling as if you could share this very personal choice with us. You are one brave soul. This is something you'll be struggling with and you will need the support of others. You'll need your friends, your healthcare providers, and maybe even a counselor to talk to about your choice.

Posting something like this on a forum might get you some responses that could hurt you. Posting that you like a particular mascara brings out some witches, so you can only imagine what something like this could evoke. You are showing your vulnerable self to the world.

And that's kinda what we all do here. And that's why I can say that I believe this is a safe place for you to share your thoughts. You might not be able to talk to your friend or doctor at three o'clock in the morning, but you are welcome to come here.