Valued Contributor
On 1/1/2014 just bee said:
On 1/1/2014 Eager2Learn said:

I plan on spending 15 minutes a day getting rid of all types of clutter: paper, clothing for donation, even the numerous emails sitting in my inbox.

I tackled the work email and I feel ten pounds lighter. That was six years' worth of email!

I'm with you -- did you see my "glimpse of 2014" post?

I'm just afraid that if I start shredding, the shredder will burst into flames and burn down the house! {#emotions_dlg.scared}

I saw that and thought: that's going to be me!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I think my shredder needs oil or something. I've had it for quite a few years. It keeps going "clunk, clunk, clunk".{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Honored Contributor
On 1/1/2014 kathie66 said:

Happy New Year Everyone!!

And welcome to the newcomers! And welcome back to all!!

And thanks bee for getting our bandwagon rolling!!

Heres to a lighter 2014!!

Shoplighters of the World Unite!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor
On 1/1/2014 Eager2Learn said:

Food for thought:

What drives you "over the edge" when deciding whether or not to make a purchase?

When I see my favorite products or something I've really been wanting to try, at 50% off with free shipping, I'm a goner, even if I don't need them. When I have enough rewards on my credit card to cover the purchase, Woo Hoo, look out!

I have however, instigated a rule: if one comes in, the oldest one must go out.

So, what's your "trigger"?

Free shipping definitely greases the wheels.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Contributor

If I see 50% off and free shipping, oh my!. Im sure I will get the shakes and squirms. That is a surefire trigger. LOL

Regular Contributor
You can take paper to be shredded to Office Max. You pay per pound and you put it in a locked box that gets turned over to a shredding company. Also check to see if your workplace will let you place your documents in the shredding container. Mine does and about twice a year I gather up all those old statements and QVC invoices and dump them in the box. No personal shredder burnout :-)
Contributor

I've been reading your thread for the last couple of weeks and would like to join! While I have cut back on buying products, I definitely didn't stop in 2013. So, I really want to make an effort to do better this year. While I don't have dozens of anything except lipstick, I do have too much makeup and skincare that I need to get through before buying anything else.

I would venture a guess that I probably have enough BB cream (3 unopened tubes) and 2 compacts of Lancome Dual Finish powder to get me through 2014. My problem with these is that while I like the BB cream and stocked up on it when there was a sale, I prefer the powder. However, I don't want the BB cream to go to waste, so I've been trying to incorporate it into my routine more frequently and just use the powder when I am in a rush to get out of the house.

I have no doubt that I have enough shadow palettes to get me through 2014 and possibly 2015. I also likely have enough skin care to do the same. Honestly, I really need to take an inventory of the skin care products because I have the ones I'm not currently using in a large makeup bag that's currently out of sight and out of mind!

Honored Contributor
On 1/1/2014 Alleighssun said:

I've been reading your thread for the last couple of weeks and would like to join! While I have cut back on buying products, I definitely didn't stop in 2013. So, I really want to make an effort to do better this year. While I don't have dozens of anything except lipstick, I do have too much makeup and skincare that I need to get through before buying anything else.

Trusted Contributor

Hello friends and welcome new friends!! 2014 is off to a good start. I went to Dillards big sale like I said I would. The idea was to look for something to wear that was unlike anything I own. I found nothing. Absolutely nothing. The things that I liked were not on sale. The only thing I bought was a Taylor Swift fragrance set for DD. Once a year when Dillards marks them 50% off, I buy her one set. I hope I am teaching her responsible shopping skills - to be patient and wait for the sale. The SA liked my DD and gave her a TS GWP tote, too. For $32.50, she got a 3.4 oz. perfume spray, 3.4 oz. lotion, glittery body powder with a brush, and the tote.

After Dillards, we went to the calendar kiosk. All calendars were 50% off. I bought one for the side of the frig. This is where I keep our family schedule. I also carry a small calendar in my purse but already have that one filled in with birthdays, appointments, and activities for 2014. My post-menopausal self cannot live without a calendar.

I have to say that I am very happy. Dillards was so crowded. There were lines at the registers. I could feel the excitement of the other shoppers starting to affect me. I almost bought two scarves that were not on clearance. Fortunately, this thread is keeping me motivated and focused. Great job, ComPacters! You are now in my brain.

Paws and enjoy life.
Trusted Contributor

Speaking of paperwork, I keep receipts for bills paid in a brown accordian folder that has twelve compartments (one for each month). After I pay the bills, I make a note on the portions that I keep. Then, I file them in the month that I paid them. After one year, the folder is full. When I need to file paid bills in a section that is full of last year's bills, I take out the bills for that month from last year and shred them. This will also work for receipts for the things you buy.

There are some things in which we want to keep the receipts longer, so we have file folders in a filing cabinet for those. When it comes to warranties, we keep those receipts along with any other information that came with the product in a special box on top of the cabinet for warranties. We have hanging green folders in the box that are labeled generically, like kitchen appliances or yard tools.

I put bank statements in a box behind the filing cabinet (which is in a closet under the stairs). The statements are labeled with the month and year. I bundle each year and keep them for seven years. Once a year, I shred the oldest bundle.

I love the idea of putting all of our paperwork on the computer, but thinking of the project overwhelms me. Maybe when I have accomplished some other tasks, I will take on this one.

Paws and enjoy life.
Super Contributor
On 1/1/2014 just bee said:
On 1/1/2014 kathie66 said:

Happy New Year Everyone!!

And welcome to the newcomers! And welcome back to all!!

And thanks bee for getting our bandwagon rolling!!

Heres to a lighter 2014!!

Shoplighters of the World Unite!

For a moment there I thought you said Shop lifters of the world unite. Lol.