Valued Contributor

Hello everyone! Another long time lurker checking in. I am not a big purchaser of anything but I do have a small budget to spend on beauty. So having this group keeps me in focus on purchasing for my needs instead of wants and hype. I love watching beauty shows and reading the beauty and health forums, but I realized that I don't have to buy every single thing out there.

Glad to be here!

Honored Contributor
On 1/3/2014 beautybee said:

Hello everyone! Another long time lurker checking in. I am not a big purchaser of anything but I do have a small budget to spend on beauty. So having this group keeps me in focus on purchasing for my needs instead of wants and hype. I love watching beauty shows and reading the beauty and health forums, but I realized that I don't have to buy every single thing out there.

Glad to be here!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Super Contributor
On 1/3/2014 rnmom said:

annacat-a No Buy January can actually be whatever you want it to be. You can just decide that you won't buy lipgloss or nailpolish or body wash or shoes. Whatever you choose. There's no hard and fast rules here, we each do what works for us.

I am so sorry to hear that your experimental medications were denies. I do hope that everything works out for you and that you are able to get what you need to be more comfortable.

Thank you

Super Contributor
On 1/3/2014 aprilskies said: Annacat, sorry to hear you are in so much pain. Hang it there and don't give up, I will pray your treatments come through. Make your no buy January anything you need it to be. It's not about not spending or depriving yourself. ...and certainly food is ALLOWED. Lol

Thank you for your prayers, only God can stop this becauze only God is more powerful than the Federal Goverment!

I guess my no buy will be nothing I do not absolutely need or/afford.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks to the Pact for helping me see that part of the attraction I had in acquiring "goodies" was the thrill of the bargain. Like others, I bought way more than I needed because it was such a bargain. For example, the current Zoya promo going on now. Get 3 polishes and pay only shipping. That's huge! But I'm not caving because I know that I will be working on the other 40 bottles of polish in my stash and in a month, I will no longer have that loving feeling of a good bargain. The void will need to be filled again, over and over. So I am abstaining from this amaaaazing value and feel so accomplished. Plus I'm on the no-buy-Jan-wagon for beauty products and don't want to fall off yet. Do bandwagons come with harnesses? Strap me in!{#emotions_dlg.scared}

I am slowly making progress on going "natural" in my skincare. I am now DIYing my facial cleanser, toner and moisturizer with oils, green tea, glycerine, honey and apple cider vinegar. That plus Renova has been the best regimen for my skin. Sure, the products don't smell as good as their commercial counterparts, but I know exactly what's in them and it's kinda fun to play mad beauty scientist. I hope to one day go "natural" with my cosmetics but it will take at least 5 years for that to happen. One by one....

Occasional Contributor
Hi! I am Not New to the boards, b/c i have been a lurker. Mainly getting fabulous beauty tips, tricks and advice from you bevy of beauties. I have been following y'all for about a year now, and I really need to belong to this group. I have so many, and such a wide assortment of brands that I think I could open my own beauty store. Sine it is so overwhelming to me, I have decided to use January to use up all my perfumes/ colognes (2 are full, rest of bottles have ~ 1/2 left in them. Secondly' I want to try to make a beauty inventory. Probably try to do it on Excel. What do you ladies think? I have so much beauty items that I think the inventory make take 2 months. I'll post my progress! And I hope everyone will post theirs! Happy freeing yourself from your things!
Respected Contributor

Welcome, beauty maven. Success, peace, and grace in all things to you this New Year.

I have been compacting for somewhere around a year, but never made a list of what I have. I just put it in one place and vowed to use the items one at a time. This year, though, I have started an Excel workbook to get a better idea of exactly what I own - particularly color cosmetics - and to help me better understand how long it takes to use an item. I also want an inventory of clothing, to help me stick to my no-buy zone for the year.

Contributor
On 1/4/2014 beauty maven said: Hi! I am Not New to the boards, b/c i have been a lurker. Mainly getting fabulous beauty tips, tricks and advice from you bevy of beauties. I have been following y'all for about a year now, and I really need to belong to this group. I have so many, and such a wide assortment of brands that I think I could open my own beauty store. Sine it is so overwhelming to me, I have decided to use January to use up all my perfumes/ colognes (2 are full, rest of bottles have ~ 1/2 left in them. Secondly' I want to try to make a beauty inventory. Probably try to do it on Excel. What do you ladies think? I have so much beauty items that I think the inventory make take 2 months. I'll post my progress! And I hope everyone will post theirs! Happy freeing yourself from your things!

Taking an inventory was how I got started. And once I had the inventory, it continues to help me stay on track. For instance, BBW semi annual sales, this would have resulted in BOXES of purchases! Who can resist $3-4 lotions, scents? But my inventory told me I have 15 bottles already, so this year I let the sale go. Just knowing what's in my stash fas kept me focused on my no buy for lotion/gels. Pull the stash from everywhere in your home, you really need an accurate count. And get ready for the shock of stuff you forgot about.

Respected Contributor

Welcome beauty maven!

I started last year with just a general list of what I had, how many shower gels, lotions, skin creams, eyeliners, etc. I wasn't more specific than that. I could look at my list and see if I had 10 shower gels and 10 eyeliners that I didn't need anymore soon. I still need to update my list for this year.

And I agree about pulling everything out and getting it together. It's really easy for products to get tucked into cupboards and closets and then forgotten about. When it's all staring you in the face, it's too hard to deny it.

Honored Contributor
On 1/4/2014 Oshare-girl said:

Plus I'm on the no-buy-Jan-wagon for beauty products and don't want to fall off yet. Do bandwagons come with harnesses? Strap me in!

Would something like this work?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~