Occasional Contributor

Colored my hair at home...surprising results!

I only post sporadically....but I've shared a few salon "oops" moments that cost a lot of money, and more money to fix. Was a medium red brown (very red auburn) and have slowly been highlighting it out. Which still costs money to maintain.
It's been years since I've colored my hair myself. I used my "old" color from about 10 years ago...light golden brown (a demi color) last week... looked great on my virgin roots, but too warm/orange on the old red/highlighted stuff.

So, with a great leap of faith and much googling I selected John Freida foam color, shade 7PBN (dark, pearl blonde) and HOLY COW!!
So close to my natural color, it's not even funny!! Still a few strands of reddish/golden-ish scattered about, but it worked GREAT!
So relieved as the reviews and color outcome were quite varied in online reviews.
Just thought I'd share a good product experience Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Colored my hair at home...surprising results!

GREAT! I love it when a plan comes together!!!

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Valued Contributor

Good for you! Simple and cheap. I'm all about that!!!

Honored Contributor

I've also had some ""real surprising results""............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

Hooray! Glad to hear you love the result, as I know from experience that sometimes DIY hair color can be tricky. But it's way more affordable!

Trusted Contributor

Just wondering - what color is your hair naturally?

Respected Contributor

My sister uses the same John Frieda color. On her it is a light brown. She is covering her gray, not highlights so I think the color looks flat. Your highlights probably give nice dimension.

Trusted Contributor

Love John Frieda products!!!! So, glad it worked so well for you.

Occasional Contributor

It did come out a very light brown, but good dimension from the old highlights!
I can see where it could look a bit flat...but I kind of expected as it's a "neutral" but I think it will be a nice base for summer highlighting.
It's been a real struggle to transition from red/auburn, so even tho it's not "perfect" it's so close to my natural color I'll happily use it again!
Very easy to use, didn't smell harsh, rinsed out great and is really silky now. No complaints Smiley Happy

*forgot to add...my natural hair color is very similar but warmer if that makes sense. A little more golden-y (always pulls a bit red when I used to dye it, which I don't mind and actually like.)

Occasional Contributor

Nice to read about your great results. I have also had good experiences with foam color. I have been using Garnier Foam color.