Honored Contributor

Re: Color not pulled thur ends of hair

@SahmIamwrote:

Having your color pulled through to your ends depends on many factors. I get mine pulled through every other visit. Why? Because of my texture, the grey in my hair and my coloring. Doesn't matter WHAT brand of color is used (I've tried many  different professional and home color kits), my hair has red, blond, black and brown in it and the color fades and will pull red/brassy unless the colorist adds tones correct it (many don't and box kits don't). If I buy "Ash dark brown" (difficult to find in a box kit), I tend to pull greenish in certain light. So, I'd have to mix boxes of color to hopefully get the right shade.

In any event, I have the shade pulled every other visit. It's not recommended and really should occur (on average) twice a year (if you go every month) as the color will dry out then ends/lower half as well as create color build up where your roots are light than the 3/4 of you hair. Again, my stylist adjust it and I take excellent care of my hair so it's very healthy.

Compare this to a friend of mine who is a natural golden blond; she gets her roots done every 4 weeks but ONLY the grow in and never has the color pulled down to the ends. Why? Because her hair color doesn't turn brassy or ashy, her hair is fine (not very coarse like mine) so there's no reason to.

Everyone is different.

Hi @SahmIam. When I had my hair colored, my stylist used permanent color on roots to cover grey and semipermanent through to the ends....less damage and same results. Since I had to go every 3 wks. & only washed my hair several times a week, the color did not wash out.

Honored Contributor

@Shanuswrote:

@QVCPhobewrote:

I am 64 and my husband does not want me to go gray, so I go every two weeks.  I get the roots done and then after every two visits, parial highlights.  It adds up yet the stylist does some freebes for me and my husbad does not complain.  So, I am happy.

@QVCPhobe  Excuse me for being blunt, but every 2 wks. color service and every 4 visits highlights? I see lots of damage in the future if not already. At 64, hair thins and the grey hair you’re covering is dry and may be more brittle. Please deep condition often to keep the hair you have. 🌸

Not true for everyone.  I still have oily hair and it is fine and has lots of gray, but is colored at the roots, and blonde highlights so it basically looks a slightly cooler blonde.  I have a medium length layered cut. 

I don't do anything to it but wash it with a shampoo for color treated hair--not a purple one either  I wash it at least every 2 days and never condition it.  It is between chin and shoulder length, NO split ends and looks shiny and healthy. BUT it is oily.  I can't even find a conditioner that I like to use so have basically forgotten that.

I get color on the roots and highlights every four to five weeks, and a haircut, and have no idea what she does because I don't know anything about hair, but it looks great and I do get lots of compliments on it.  So whatever!  Woman Frustrated

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tsavoritewrote:

Watching these shows and I just can't believe that....they all look like their hair has just been color treated to my eye.  I know my hair looks like that for about 2wks afterward and then some new growth (gray begins showing in a few places) and around week 3 some fading....my color isn't as vibrant.  

I think it depends on the color, too. I used box red dye from the grocery store and my hair is NEVER the same color the fourth week as it is the first. It even varies the first week, depending how long I leave it on. When I got 6 inches cut off my hair, it took a LOT less time to put the color on and I start the processing time clock after it's all applied. My color was a lot lighter and faded much more quickly because the total time was maybe 5-10 minutes less. I had to pad my processing time with the extra time it used to take me in application in order to keep my grays from fading in the second week. The first week my hair is a medium-deep auburn and by the end it's a light auburn. Because it fades so dramatically, I recolor my whole head like it's a new application every time. If I try to just do my roots first and then pull color through at the end, I sometimes get "hot roots" and the color doesn't match, so it's the whole head every time.

My manager is a natural redhead but she gets her hair colored at a salon to enhance her red and color her grays. Her hair is always the same shade.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wanted to add a few things:

The water at your home and at your salon may not be the same in content. The water you shower with at home can cause your color to do many things- and not good things, either.

Medication you take does have an affect on color as well. My stylist will not color hair if someone is on an antibiotic as the color may not come out the same as well as it may change a few weeks after it's done. Medication (I know from my own experience) can do funky things to the hair and color can definitely be affected.

As we' ve all seen with other things, every person is unique and what works for one may not for another; there are no set rules in anything.

Trusted Contributor

@Shanushe does

and houses many.

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Respected Contributor

I never pull color to my ends. Just do my roots every 4 wks.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have my roots done every 3 weeks.  Before I had highlights, my stylist pulled the color to the ends (maybe) twice a year.