Respected Contributor

Can anyone recommend a brand to me?  I am thinking of trying one of these to see how I like it just not sure which brand is good.  I have medium brown/ash hair color that likes to fade after several weeks.  

I just had it colored 8days ago and am using a sulfate free shampoo....wash every other day.  Still testing out the sulfate free shampoo from my salon.  

Thanks for any help!

Honored Contributor

Re: Color Depositing Shampoo's?

I color red which is the hardest color to maintain besides some of these new purples and pinks people are wearing these days.  I only shampoo once a week.  The rest of the time I just conditioner wash.  Since I think the job of shampoo is to clean, I would prefer to have a color-depositing conditioner which is much harder to find.  To add to that, I avoid silicones, so I'm pretty much out of luck.  I have been known to try and stretch my color with a foam semi-permanent color.  It does a good job, but doesn't color the grays.  Problem is, I think they discontinued the shade I was using.  I also have a little vial of red color meant to be added to my own shampoo or conditioner.  I haven't tried that one yet to see if I like the results.

Respected Contributor

@tsavorite I have dark brown hair and absolutely love Aveda’s Color Depositing Conditioner. I use the Black Malva as its for cool toned dk brown/black hair. Its also available for lighter browns, reds, etc. Depending on how often you wash determines how often you may want to use this. 

I use this 1-2 times/wk as my roots start to show bc my natural hair color is slightly lighter. I will mention it does not cover grey however. I have been using this for as long as I can remember. It will stain hands if left on too long so some use gloves. I don’t find them necessary. 

Esteemed Contributor

For DS brands I would say John Frieda. They do make one for reds.

I caution against his most light blonde/champagne as it made me look almost white in my very blonde days. For mid tone or darker blondes I get better tones from their brunette.

I'm trying Redken sulfate free something shampoo at twice the price. So far, it's not worth it.

Respected Contributor

IT&LY has a fantastic color depositing  conditioner and last several shampoos

Respected Contributor

Thanks ladies I walked around Ulta today looking at what they have...some were conditioners you leave on for a few minutes then rinse out.  I just wasn't sure...what I don't want to happen is the product makes my hair feel dirty the next day and then I am tempted to WASH it LOL!  

Sally's has demi-permanent color....28 shampoo's the lady said....if I start looking orange/brassy in a few weeks I may do this instead.  It was really cheap too!

Valued Contributor

I love Pure Blends Color Depositing Shampoo (sulfate free) They are in salons or on their website. I mix Chestnut, Cocoa, etc or use them alone. Really extends my dark brown auburn hair color.

Frequent Contributor

I love Shikai