Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Franklinbell wrote:

Hi! What's the difference? I tried to see if he was going to answer the question. Thanks!

@Franklinbell 

The answer is in my post. Free range is derived from cowhide and the marine from fish scales.

If I remember correctly the Algenist collagen serum is plant based (if that's important to you)

That's not correct. Plants or algae (which is not a plant) do not contain or make collagen. Those only provide substances (sometimes called pro-collagen) which may boost collagen formation. Algenist products contain collagen but that's not from any algae or algae by-product. The collagen in Algenist comes from an animal. Algenist is not vegan, although they do sell a vegan line which does not contain any collagen.

@SilleeMee 

Are you sure? I could have sworn they made a point of selling it as 'plant derived' (although I don't know how that's possible)

The collagen advantage isn't just about hair, skin and nails. Apparently it's beneficial for joint health.

Anyone notice a difference there?

Honored Contributor

I have been taking a collagen supplement for the last almost year---seems to be helping me alot--started it for my painful joints not realizing the others so called benefits---but have noticed that my horribly soft nails are so much stonger and actually are growing--had chemo in 2012 and that pretty much put an end to my nails---and also am growing new hair around my temples---am still taking meds for cancer which makes your hair thin and can fall out. My skin has always looked great tho--am lucky with that. But it is not an overnight thing--takes months to notice any difference,except for my joints--that was noticeable within a week or so. 

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Franklinbell wrote:

Hi! What's the difference? I tried to see if he was going to answer the question. Thanks!

@Franklinbell 

The answer is in my post. Free range is derived from cowhide and the marine from fish scales.

If I remember correctly the Algenist collagen serum is plant based (if that's important to you)

That's not correct. Plants or algae (which is not a plant) do not contain or make collagen. Those only provide substances (sometimes called pro-collagen) which may boost collagen formation. Algenist products contain collagen but that's not from any algae or algae by-product. The collagen in Algenist comes from an animal. Algenist is not vegan, although they do sell a vegan line which does not contain any collagen.

@SilleeMee 

Are you sure? I could have sworn they made a point of selling it as 'plant derived' (although I don't know how that's possible)

The collagen advantage isn't just about hair, skin and nails. Apparently it's beneficial for joint health.

@Andreatoo 

Yup, I'm sure about that. Algae is not a plant but are 'plant-like', in a class of their own and just like plants algae does not contain or produce collagen. Algae and plants contain amino acids which are pro-collagen in nature, meaning the amino acids have the potential to promote the formation of collagen in our bodies.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Franklinbell wrote:

@Franklinbell 

@SilleeMee 

@Andreatoo 

Yup, I'm sure about that. Algae is not a plant but are 'plant-like', in a class of their own and just like plants algae does not contain or produce collagen. Algae and plants contain amino acids which are pro-collagen in nature, meaning the amino acids have the potential to promote the formation of collagen in our bodies.

@SilleeMee 

your science is indisputable but I'm referring to what may have been said to sell the product...

Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@Andreatoo Which collagen did your order - Marine or Free Range?  I have been taking the Marine with MSM for a year now.  My nails are stronger, so is my hair, but the best benefit I have seen is less lower back pain, less knee pain, and less hip pain.  Do they ever hurt?  Yes, but usually not enough to have to take ibuprophen.  I got the formula onetime without MSM by mistake.  I noticed that all these pains were returning.  It was too late to send back so I bought extra MSM to add and began seeing the same results again.  I think you will be happy, but then again, there is that long return window.  I have DH on the Free Range and asked him if he felt any difference.  He just shrugs his shoulders.   Men!  Must be his shoulders don't hurt though LOL.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs 

I ordered the marine. I'm thinking we will both take it since DH has back issues.

So happy to hear it's working for you!

Esteemed Contributor

@Andreatoo I hope you both get the same results as me!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

I've been using collagen supplements for many years now, I find it works better on my achy joints than other joint supplements like glucosamin and chondroitin, MSM, etc.  I've tried many brands, including Andrew Lessman's, and right now I like the Vital Proteins that I get at Costco.  I mix it in my tea and smoothies.  Any benefits I get for my hair, skin, nails, etc., I consider a bonus. 

Trusted Contributor

I have been taking Biotin tablets for over a year at my nurse practioner's suggestion....and it does seem to be helping stop the thinning hair at the crown of my head. I can't see my bare scalp through my hair now, which is a good thing. It also makes my fingernails and toenails grow so fast I am constantly having to cut them....it is also supposed to help my skin look better but not sure it has done much...but it doesn't look worse and that's all I am going for at my age.

I asked derm about collagen and she said she didn't think the supplement drinks were worth the big bucks they are charging for them. 

Honored Contributor

Lessman marine is made frim tilapia, no thanks, I take Hello Lovely multi collagen, made with cod. Tilapia is a farm raised fish, wild caught is so much better for us. Andrew should know better, or just trying to save his pennies. I also take Verisol.