Esteemed Contributor

Has anyone tried those drinks?  Did they brighten up your skin?  I'm just curious.  My skin looks pretty good but everyone can use a boost, right?  Probably just another scam to separate us from our $. What do you think?

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Yeah, most likely something else to spend money on. Probably won't hurt you. I do take a good collagen supplement I get at CostCo and it's dirt cheap--pennies a day. I think it helps my skin, hair and nails.

Honored Contributor

I just watched the presentation on HSN for the collagen. I was a little annoyed that Andrew ignored the question regarding the difference between free range and marine collagen. I had to look it up to get the answer.

If you're vegetarian or vegan you don't want either. The free range is derived from cowhide and the marine from fish scales

I decided to try it. We've got till the end of January to return it if it doesn't do anything

Respected Contributor

Hi! What's the difference? I tried to see if he was going to answer the question. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@Franklinbell wrote:

Hi! What's the difference? I tried to see if he was going to answer the question. Thanks!

@Franklinbell 

The answer is in my post. Free range is derived from cowhide and the marine from fish scales.

If I remember correctly the Algenist collagen serum is plant based (if that's important to you)

Honored Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

Has anyone tried those drinks?  Did they brighten up your skin?  I'm just curious.  My skin looks pretty good but everyone can use a boost, right?  Probably just another scam to separate us from our $. What do you think?

Not an actual drink.  I take a liquid collagen supplement.  I've read that liquid has better absorption than powdered.  

Honored Contributor

@MoJoV    Forget the collagen ----  I am waiting for the drug that will prolong our life.  Now that would be a break-thru!

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I use Vital Proteins

mix in my am coffee, 

my nails look great and it has no taste

Respected Contributor

I have a friend who swears by gelatin ...she used to put it in OJ, heated up (you have to heat it for it to constitute..why she did OJ, not sure, but says now she puts it in tea.)

I bought some a while ago for some other reason, and it's in the back of my cabinet now. I kept forgetting to try it for the hair/nails health...but I've been thinking of doing it lately..that's why this thread interested me.

I also follow "FlavCity" on FB...the influrencer guy who talks all things nutrition, and supplements...and while not an "expert" other than to have researched all this stuff for his own life, turned influencer being paid to do so...all that considered...I have learned a lot about reading the ingredients and what they really mean on our food products. Anyway...he always promotes taking daily collegen...I forget if he does a powder or something else...and I also forget what brand. At any rate he has me thinking about taking collegen too. I just know so little about it, and I don't take anything until I'm comfortable with having educated myself on it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Collagen drinks?

[ Edited ]

@amyb wrote:

I have a friend who swears by gelatin ...she used to put it in OJ, heated up (you have to heat it for it to constitute..why she did OJ, not sure, but says now she puts it in tea.)

I bought some a while ago for some other reason, and it's in the back of my cabinet now. I kept forgetting to try it for the hair/nails health...but I've been thinking of doing it lately..that's why this thread interested me.

I also follow "FlavCity" on FB...the influrencer guy who talks all things nutrition, and supplements...and while not an "expert" other than to have researched all this stuff for his own life, turned influencer being paid to do so...all that considered...I have learned a lot about reading the ingredients and what they really mean on our food products. Anyway...he always promotes taking daily collegen...I forget if he does a powder or something else...and I also forget what brand. At any rate he has me thinking about taking collegen too. I just know so little about it, and I don't take anything until I'm comfortable with having educated myself on it.

@amyb  I know he likes Vital Proteins (blue canister and a deal at Costco), it's a popular one with a lot of folks. I watch him (and Rose) too, but really have to sift through it to gleen anything.  He is all over the place (sort of keto/low carb one day, paleo the next) and I've caught him calling things keto that really aren't, making recommendations from only a carb count perspective, rather than considering ingredients and how they affect insulin or inflammation. The videos are entertaining but I don't swallow him hook, line, and sinker.  It's still up to me to do my own research and choose appropriately, what I'm going to put in  my body.