Honored Contributor

Was watching a YTer yesterday that I watch every week and she mentioned that she has started taking liquid collagen supplements.  Have heard of other types of collagen supplements also.

I'm curious - does anyone here take the supplements?  If so, which kind? Notice any difference?  I'll of course do my own research if I decide to go in that direction but would like to hear from someone on this board if you've tried it, liked it, didn't like it, etc.

TIA

Honored Contributor

I take a spoonful of medical grade sugar free grass fed liquid collagen every day.  You can find arguments pro and con, regarding powdered vs. liquid.  I'm in the liquid camp because I've read that since the powdered is processed using such high heat that the benefits are significantly reduced. Is that accurate?  Who knows for sure?  It does make sense to me, though, that liquid would absorb better. I believe it's good for the skin, joints, and gut health, butI take other supplements for the same thing.  I feel great and skin is good, but is it from significant weight loss, no longer consuming certain foods, skincare, supplements?  At least I have all my bases covered.  Even so, nothing is helping my nails.  

Trusted Contributor

I use Vital Protein collagen powder - unflavored.  I put some in my coffee every morning.  You won't notice anyting quickly its going to take time.  I can feel a difference in my skin and my hair is growing faster during the cold months than normal.  

Highly recommend using a Grass Fed version.

Honored Contributor

@JudyL    I take Collagen Peptides in powder form... I usually add it to my coffee/ almond milk  drink that I heat up each morning,

Respected Contributor

I don't have an answer but I'm interested in what others have to say. I bought it in the powder form and I'm just not taking it...there are no hot beverages I drink so it's a bit of a challenge. Maybe liquid would be a better option for me.

Contributor

I would love to hear everyones opinion as well..  A friend told me about a new collagen in the form of Liquid that is getting alot of attention by Younique.   Not cheap but I like that they come in individual sachets, so portability is great.   If anyone has any experience with these, please share.  

Contributor

Also, the one I am currently taking is Alaya multi collagen powder and love it because I can mix it in glass of water or in coffee.    the taste is tolerable when I just add to water. One of the best I have tried so far

Honored Contributor

Re: Collagen Supplements

[ Edited ]

@portugal wrote:

I would love to hear everyones opinion as well..  A friend told me about a new collagen in the form of Liquid that is getting alot of attention by Younique.   Not cheap but I like that they come in individual sachets, so portability is great.   If anyone has any experience with these, please share.  

Save your money @portugal . I've looked into it.  It's expensive and not very good, IMO. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do enjoy reading everyone's comments here!

Yes, I take a collagen supplement. I got started years ago on Andrew Lessman's Free Range Collagen Peptides with MSM and also his Marine Collagen Peptides with MSM. To cover the whole marine collagen v free range, I buy both and usually add both into the HUGE container that it initially came in. I then pour about a pint or so into a pretty container to have it available for my hubby's coffee in the morning and my workout smoothie. I get it when it's a Today's Special and never run out.

What have I noticed?

I was very aware I was taking a new product when I began, so first I smelled it lol. I do enjoy Andrew's products because they never bother my sensitive stomach, so I didn't fear that. Yes. I CAN smell a very faint scent BUT it doesn't affect any drinks I have stirred it into! I just smell it when I open the top like I do every other supplement I take. That's it.

Then I forgot about taking it and one day while looking at my skin getting products out for the night, I thought hmmm my skin looks better for some reason lol. So naturally I looked at what I was using: same products. After thinking about it, I thought it couldn't be this new collagen could it? Then I called my daughter who was also taking it and asked if SHE noticed anything different. She immediately said her skin looked great! Now she is young so there's that, but it even improved her young skin!

Joints: I told my doctor one day that since I have been taking collagen my joints have felt better overall. It's like someone added a soft cushioning into my joints where there used to be none, if that makes sense. My doc said many patients have been saying the same thing!

I also take glucosamine/chondroitan in powder form from Andrew and add that into my smoothie, but I only started that last week. So collagen was the only "joint" type ingredient I had to compare before and after, without the confusion of gluc/chon which also help joints.

We all focus on joint health and how it makes our skin look, but collagen is also good for bones and blood vessels, along with hair and nails, and flexibility and elasticity of skin. 

Unfortunately I haven't tried another brand to give you a good comparison because I've been so happy with my results on this product.

I wish you luck in experimenting! No matter what brand you go with, I do think it is a great idea to incorporate it into your daily routine. Like I said, my hubby stirs it into his morning coffee and I whirl it into my workout smoothie.

ETA: HSN has been where I have purchased it and I noticed those results I discussed above after about three to four weeks of daily use.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I take 100% Verisol brand powder. That's the brand name and it is sold by other names and is also sold as a blend with other collagen ingredients added to it, for instance it's added to Vital Proteins brand collagen gummies.

Verisol is bovine-sourced, specifically from the hide.