Trusted Contributor

Re: Collagen Supplements - I know....it's been discussed many times but..

I've been using two scoops of Vital Proteins collagen in my black coffee every morning for about a year and I think it has made a difference.  I have it on subscription so it's cheaper.  I also occasionally will use Further Foods chocolate collagen if I'm in the mood for something that tastes like hot chocolate.  

I feel like it definitely has helped my nails and my joints.  Unfortunately it hasn't seemed to help my thinning hair.  I think it is worth the money.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shelbelle wrote:

I take Verisol collagen as well as Phytoceramides capsules daily. My skin, such as on my arms and thighs is much smoother. My nails were always hard, but my thinning hair has shown no improvement. 

I have been taking a powder form of Verisol collagen daily for about a year now. I can not say if  I notice a difference  in my skin as my skin was good to begin with.  I am just hoping if helps it to stay that way.

Super Contributor

Yes take it!  My husband and I have been using Andrew Lessmans  Collegen and it definitely helps with knees and also great for skin!!   Would never not take it. Best quality product with Lessman. SO worth it. I am 60 almost 61 and look extremly young for my age. This has helped!

Super Contributor

Hello,

I highly  recommend taking a BIOTIN supplement for hair growth.

Most very expensive products to promote hair growth contain this as the main ingredient.

Biotin is very inexpensive and I’ve been taking it, along with 

a long list of other supplements, for about a year.

(I started with the Biotin and because I saw new hair at my temples,

I researched the benefits of various supplements and added them to my 

regimen)

good luck

Honored Contributor

Biotin does not work for everyone, been taking 10,000 mcg for many years, it does nothing, i just take it anyway, inexpensive, and it cant hurt, maybe good for preventative maintenance. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I took biotin for many years thinking it might make my hair grow and get thicker. But all it ever did was make my hair coarse and wiry. So I stopped taking it and my hair is now soft again. I take bamboo silica instead. That doesn't make me sprout new hairs or make the hair I have grow any faster but it seems to make my hair very soft, shiny and silky. Silica supps are not meant to make your hair grow but what it does is help promote healthier follicles so the hair won't fall out.

Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I took Andrew's marine collagen for 2 weeks. My face and eyes became swollen. Like I'd been on a long crying jag.

Promptly sent it back.

I had a reaction also...felt like I needed to cough all the time...almost harder to breath.  I'd stop for a few weeks and I'd be fine then start back up and that awful pressure cough stuff came right back.  I am thinking I am allergic to the shells ground up in it.

So I tried his other collagen from cows but it has MSM in it and after months and months trying it I had zero results on anything.

Now I am presently using Vital Protein (1 scoop per day even though 2 is the recommended serving) plus 1 scoop in my coffee of verisol product.  Only been a month on that so time will tell.  

Respected Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Harpa 

Can I be you when I grow up? Smiley Wink  I don't like veggies or water Smiley Sad  Does your collegen product(s) containMSMM? MSMM makes my hands and ankles swell.  You'd be surprised (or maybe not) how many supplements contain MSM Smiley Sad 

Because it's CHEAP to add and make the product amount look like you get alot for the price! LOL  

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I took biotin for many years thinking it might make my hair grow and get thicker. But all it ever did was make my hair coarse and wiry. So I stopped taking it and my hair is now soft again. I take bamboo silica instead. That doesn't make me sprout new hairs or make the hair I have grow any faster but it seems to make my hair very soft, shiny and silky. Silica supps are not meant to make your hair grow but what it does is help promote healthier follicles so the hair won't fall out.

I went back on the bamboo silica....started on the NOW brand capsules instead of the loose bag from Bulk Supplements.  I was finding putting that in my yogurt in morning was making me feel dizzy.  I just didn't understand why...something about me and my chronic vertigo/dizziness issues.  So far this last month taking the capsules from NOW I haven't had any issues.  

I am hoping this collagen and bamboo will help with my bones...I am staying thus far in the osteopenia range and hope to move it back to normal BUT my 1st dexa was at age 51 (right when I became meno) as a baseline and it was osetopenia so I am thinking I have always had thinner/smaller bones??  I wish I had a DEXA from my forties to know if this just a normal state for me or not?  

Either way I am doing all that I can for bone health...that is my #1 issue and if skin/hair/nails get some benefit too well that's great!

Sorry this got long LOLWoman LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I took Bamboo silica caps from Swanson for over 6 months, no changes, so I stopped and moved onto the Verisol collagen. Also tried Biosil caps for a long time, made of silica, no positive changes with that either. Now I am trying Doctos Best Hydrolyzed Keratin caps.