Honored Contributor

Re: Collagen/Phytoceramides ?

[ Edited ]

Ceramides play a role in the health of hair follicles by maintaining the sheath's production of keratin at the cellular level found inside the root (keratinocytes)...that's what the hair shaft is made of.  While maintaining a healthy follicle, ceramides also create a protective barrier around the shaft and help retain moisture within the shaft itself. When hair is stripped, that's when ceramides get removed, making the shaft vulnerable to drying out and breaking. Ceramides provide protection, hydration and will promote elasticity of the hair.

@Shelbelle 

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

What exactly does taking collagen do for your skin? From what I understand collagen molecules get broken down to protein segments in the gut so essentially it just like taking a protein supp.

Collagen peptides contain different amino acids than other proteins. Since we don't generally eat large quantities cow, pig, or fish skin or drink lots of bone broth or eat tons of gelatin every day, we don't get those nutrients in daily dietary protein like meat etc.

Also, good collagen peptides are so refined that they are tasteless and odorless. Collagen powder often smells odd and has a strange taste. I tried plain collagen powder for a bit and it ruined my coffee each day. I hated it. Verisol and Peptan brand name collagen peptides in particular are tasteless and odorless and can be taken in smaller quantities than collagen powder. I like branded supplement ingredients because they are more likely to be tested.

Verisol has clinical studies that prove their claims. Published in actual journals.

https://www.gelita.com/en/products/collagen-peptides/verisol

What do the dermatologists say about these claims? What journals are the claims published in? I ate a lot of jello last summer and noticed my nails were indeed stronger, I quit eating it and my nails became thin and fragile again.

Respected Contributor

Wow, you ladies are a wealth of information. Got to try these items now. Thank you to all.
Honored Contributor

Verisol has clinical studies that prove their claims. Published in actual journals.

https://www.gelita.com/en/products/collagen-peptides/verisol

What do the dermatologists say about these claims? What journals are the claims published in? I ate a lot of jello last summer and noticed my nails were indeed stronger, I quit eating it and my nails became thin and fragile again.

I haven't asked any dermatologists about versiol so I have no idea what they say. The journals listed in the link I provided are:

• Oral Supplementation of Specific Collagen Peptides Has Beneficial Effects on Human Skin Physiology: A Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study
    Proksch E., Segger D., Degwert J., Schunck M., Zague V., Oesser S. Skin Pharmacol Physiology, August 2013
  • Oral Intake of Specific Bioactive Collagen Peptides Reduces Skin Wrinkles and Increases Dermal Matrix Synthesis
    Proksch E., Schunck M., Zague V., Segger D., Degwert J., Oesser S. Skin Pharmacol Physiology, December 2013

• JOURNAL OF MEDICINAL FOOD, J Med Food 00 (0) 2015, 1–9, DOI: 10.1089/jmf.2015.0022,  Dietary Supplementation with Specific Collagen Peptides Has a Body Mass Index-Dependent Beneficial Effect on Cellulite Morphology
    Michael Schunck, 1 Vivian Zague, 2 Steffen Oesser, 1 Ehrhardt Proksch, 3

There are more clinical studies for their other collagen peptide products that target bones and joints and muscles. Jello (beef gelatin, that is) is probably a yummier way to intake more connective tissue.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

Ceramides play a role in the health of hair follicles by maintaining the sheath's production of keratin at the cellular level found inside the root (keratinocytes)...that's what the hair shaft is made of.  While maintaining a healthy follicle, ceramides also create a protective barrier around the shaft and help retain moisture within the shaft itself. When hair is stripped, that's when ceramides get removed, making the shaft vulnerable to drying out and breaking. Ceramides provide protection, hydration and will promote elasticity of the hair.

I actually took Keratin pills for a long time, did nothing for my hair, sadly!!  BTW, the EarthMed Ceramides are now sold out on ebay, i bet the last 5 went to the ladies here yesterday !! They still lhave a few double and triple packs of them listed. 

Valued Contributor

My daughter is a hairdresser. She has a client who swears by the collagen powder. Her hair was thinning and she says the powder has helped so much. My daughter has two clients that are derms and she asked them about it. They said they can't recommend it to their patients becase it's not proven that it would help. I've been using the collagen powder for around a month now and I intend to keep using it.

Valued Contributor

@Shelbelle  I got the last one! Lol!  Thanks for sharing with us. Heart

Honored Contributor

@beautybee wrote:

@Shelbelle  I got the last one! Lol!  Thanks for sharing with us. Heart

Good for you, I took my first one today!! They have a few double and triple packs available, I did not know until today they had these listed. 

Honored Contributor

I didn't buy any more phytoceramdes supps but I managed to talk myself into buying some marine collagen powder. I guess that's the one for skin and hair health so I'm going to give it a try...even though I'm sort of a skeptic with this supp, I just have to see for myself if it really does anything.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle  @SilleeMee   and others!  You ladies are SO informative, I appreciate this thread!

...I looked on ebay for the product  (Phytocermides)....it was $49.99 'no wheat'/300 capsules.  Does that price sound in line?

I have the worst heels ever, and if the supplement would help that issue I would be thrilled.  They are very dry with cracks, sometimes painful to walk.

I have trired everthing under the sun and nothing really works.   When it is 90 degrees outside and I have to wear socks to bed because I have vaseline on my feet....well, it's very uncomfortable.