Honored Contributor

Re: Collagen/Phytoceramides ?

Since we are all girls here, I just want to add that the SB Berry Oil really has helped with the feminjne dryness, I had done my research and then decided to try it for that, but it does have other benefits. 

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

What exactly does taking collagen do for your skin? From what I understand collagen molecules get broken down to protein segments in the gut so essentially it just like taking a protein supp.

Collagen peptides contain different amino acids than other proteins. Since we don't generally eat large quantities cow, pig, or fish skin or drink lots of bone broth or eat tons of gelatin every day, we don't get those nutrients in daily dietary protein like meat etc.

Also, good collagen peptides are so refined that they are tasteless and odorless. Collagen powder often smells odd and has a strange taste. I tried plain collagen powder for a bit and it ruined my coffee each day. I hated it. Verisol and Peptan brand name collagen peptides in particular are tasteless and odorless and can be taken in smaller quantities than collagen powder. I like branded supplement ingredients because they are more likely to be tested.

Verisol has clinical studies that prove their claims. Published in actual journals.

https://www.gelita.com/en/products/collagen-peptides/verisol

@Porcelain 

Would you please share how / where you purchase?

I'm looking for a change.

Followed your link, but can not find order information.

TYIA

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I took the phytoceramides for about 8 months. I saw no results at all. (they were the wheat kind). I just quit and didn't see any reason to order again. 

@Shelbelle  I have to cut my nails too much as it is! I would like to take things for my hair but then I'd probably be cutting my nails even more often. I guess I just can't win. Always interested in your opinions, shel.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

I took the phytoceramides for about 8 months. I saw no results at all. (they were the wheat kind). I just quit and didn't see any reason to order again. 

@Shelbelle  I have to cut my nails too much as it is! I would like to take things for my hair but then I'd probably be cutting my nails even more often. I guess I just can't win. Always interested in your opinions, shel.

Jud, I have great nails, decent skin, but my hair has been extremely thin since I had my kids, nothing has really helped me with that. How convenient that Susan decides to show up now!!

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Porcelain 

TYIA

I get Advanced Verisol Collagen by Nature's Bounty from Amazon. It used to be called Ageless Eye by the same company. Keep in mind it takes about at least 3 months to see any changes. @Shelbelle's Puritan's Pride seems to be a good source for Verisol too.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Porcelain 

TYIA

I get Advanced Verisol Collagen by Nature's Bounty from Amazon. It used to be called Ageless Eye by the same company. Keep in mind it takes about at least 3 months to see any changes. @Shelbelle's Puritan's Pride seems to be a good source for Verisol too.

Natures Bounty and Puritans Pride are the same exact formula, in fact I think they are the same company using different names, just my guess. I saw changes in my nails in about 2 months. Just an FYI, these tablets are very large. 

Respected Contributor

I take Life Extensions Phytoceramides which are made with Lipowheat. What is the difference in the wheat and non-wheat ones? Just that they are gluten free? Or is one better than the other?

Thanks in advance! 

Quarrels end, but words once spoken never die... African Proverb
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The non wheat ones are made from rice and sweet potatoes. Some feel these give better results than the wheat ones. The wheat ones are supposed to be gluten free. 

Honored Contributor

@Tennessee Vol wrote:

I take Life Extensions Phytoceramides which are made with Lipowheat. What is the difference in the wheat and non-wheat ones? Just that they are gluten free? Or is one better than the other?

Thanks in advance! 

'Lipowheat' is a trademarked name for a type of plant ceramide made from wheat but it does not contain gluten. 

Some time ago the Japanese scientists did a study of phytoceramides, including those made from rice, and the study revealed better skin hydration from rice ceramides. Other studies have compared sweet potato ceramides with rice ceramides and found them to ve almost equal in their ability to retain moisture in the skin, better than Lipowheat in other words. Sweet potato ceramides have made the supplement more affordable than the other kinds.

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle and @SilleeMee 

Thank you so much for your responses... I intend to switch to a rice or sweet potato phytoceramide. Can either of you, or anyone, recommend a brand?

Again, thank you so much! 

Quarrels end, but words once spoken never die... African Proverb