Honored Contributor

@tsavorite 

It's okay to put your collagen powder into hot coffee. It takes much hotter than that to destroy peptides. No worries.

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

When I was at the doctor earlier this week, for an unrelated issue, I asked the doctor about what I could take for my aging skin. She suggested powdered collagen...   @SilleeMee  told me what she takes.

Also, the doctor said to mix it with a COLD beverage, which surprised me.  I will experiment to see what dissolves best, hot or cold.

@Mom2Dogs 

Peptides are sensitive to hot temperatures meaning they can break apart but it happens with very hot temps, hotter than what you can drink. I don't think you need to worry about putting into coffee or tea. Horbaach says you can mix their peptides with juice or any favorite beverage and they didn't mention that you couldn't put into hot drinks. 

Geez I sure hope it's ok to put in coffee...that's how I have been using 1 scoop each day and then I mix another scoop in some yogurt later.  Maybe I will change this up...I do believe it's been helping me these last yrs but I had no idea heat could be a issue.  I have my morning cup out already with the scoop in it ready to go!  

Isn't bone broth the same?  That's made hot and I do drink that warmed up.  

@tsavorite     The doctor said to use it in cold beverages but from what I read, it does not matter.  I recall her saying something about suspended particles but I busy writing down what she told me to take and did not hear exactly what she said.  

I also read that if you take it at night it MIGHT help you sleep.  I do not believe all I read but thought it was interesting the difference between taking at night vs morning.

Honored Contributor

I've read that collagen peptides are best absorbed in an empty stomach. Wait 30 minutes before eating.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs @SilleeMee Thank you both for the replies and help...I will change it up now for sure.  I might try it at night but would need capsules for that as drinking to much liquid close to bedtime gets me up to many times at night which is another problem I have LOL!

Honored Contributor

I read it dissolves better in hot beverages than in cold. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

So, did anyone see HSN Beauty Report last night? M Asam had a kit with a Collagen face cream and Collagen eye cream. The new female rep for M Asam said that this was plant based collagen made from something she called White Lupine, any comments, anyone used it?

The studies I've been reading say specifically that ingested collagen is what reaches into the deep layers of the skin, also affecting the epidermis.

For topical application, yes, collagen-building peptides. But collagen as a skin topical, I've not read anything definitive that this is at all effective.

The first product line I remember to make a claim for topical collagen was Dr. Graf. Since then, I don't know if people are just throwing around this word.

Lupine, on the other hand is a known skin ingredient. Maybe this is the "collagen building peptide" in the M.Asam cream, since it is rich in proteins and amino acids.

Honored Contributor

Yes, white lupine is the active in it. 

Honored Contributor

That is why I opt for the capsules, I dont drink hot beverages on a daily basis. 

Honored Contributor

I haven't tried collagen peptides.  It sounds like something I should take as it is also good for bones.  What is a good brand to try and is powder better than capsules?

Respected Contributor

@Pecky HI! I have been using Vital Proteins (Blue Tub) sold at Costco.  They have it on sale right now but my store didn't have it in stock so I had to order online.  They sell the largest container for the best price point.  

I haven't tried capsules but in the topic earlier some brands are shared and look good. 

I can only say for me I use the powder as I take many supplements and really don't want to add more pills to it.  I just think you need a good brand either way.

I did take the Verisol type before also sold at Costco online only but didn't notice anything much so I decided to just stick with the VP all by itself as I was using both before for about 1yrs.

I also take NOW brand Bamboo Silica capsules for bone health...I tried the powder in this and just couldn't get past the awful grit.  I do better with capsules with this at least.

I have osteopenia and am very concerned about my bones...I do take a few other supplements to address this but Bamboo Silica and the VP plus D, K2 for keeping them strong hopefully.