Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I have read using topical collagen has no real benefits either. 

Topical collagen used in serums/creams is a very good humectant. Collagen protein can retain a lot of water, it doesn't give it up (evaporate) easily and that means good hydration for the skin's surface. Keeping a moist environment close to the surface allows the inner layers of the skin to remain hydrated and plump.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

I have read using topical collagen has no real benefits either. 

Topical collagen used in serums/creams is a very good humectant. Collagen protein can retain a lot of water, it doesn't give it up (evaporate) easily and that means good hydration for the skin's surface. Keeping a moist environment close to the surface allows the inner layers of the skin to remain hydrated and plump.

Applying a good, clean moisturizer does the job well. 

Honored Contributor

Well ok @SilleeMee .  You're the chemist, not me.  But, to a non-chemist beauty junkie, there is a lot of information out there that makes non-chemist beauty junkies think there is such thing as plant based collagen peptides Smiley Surprised  Let me ask you this...do plant based "collagen" peptides work well at stimulating collagen production in our bodies?  Would or have you tried plant based versions that stimulate collagen production?

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

@phoenixbrd 

Yes, what she said!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

90% of my skincare is centered around hydration for soft plump skin.  It's locked in with a moisturizer and then an oil (Squalane).  Hydration is key.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

Well ok @SilleeMee .  You're the chemist, not me.  But, to a non-chemist beauty junkie, there is a lot of information out there that makes non-chemist beauty junkies think there is such thing as plant based collagen peptides Smiley Surprised  Let me ask you this...do plant based "collagen" peptides work well at stimulating collagen production in our bodies?  Would or have you tried plant based versions that stimulate collagen production?

@monicakm 

Peptides are all made of protein. When you ingest them, there is no way to direct where they go. Our body uses them wherever needed and if our body needs more collagen then it would use the collagen supplement to help build it.

Collagen peptide supps are simply protein pieces sourced from various animals. Vegan 'collagen' is an man-made protein made by crossing bacteria with animal dna. Honestly, I don't know if synthesized peptide will do what natural collagen peptide does. 

Esteemed Contributor

On a 2nd (or 3rd, I lost track) consideration of collagen peptides, I've concluded, based on studies (PubMed) to switch over to plant-based supplementation.

However, the collagen supps I've been taking certainly have helped me maintain good joints, and I cannot complain about dry skin!

But I'm opting for powder (like my present supp) because I think it gets into the system quicker.

significantly improved skin hydration, elasticity, roughness, and density

Overall, the shortcomings of animal- and cadaver-derived collagens arising from their source diversity and recycled nature are fully overcome in the plant setting, constituting a collagen source ideal for tissue engineering and regenerative medicine applications.

Honored Contributor

@Harpa 

I think 'vegan collagen' should be called 'hybrid collagen' b/c it's not entirely from a vegan source but is actually part animal (the dna from hydozoans) as well. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Harpa 

I think 'vegan collagen' should be called 'hybrid collagen' b/c it's not entirely from a vegan source but is actually part animal (the dna from hydozoans) as well. 

@SilleeMee  Thanks! The one I looked at does have "vegan" on the label, but nothing animal like at all in the ingredient deck. I've been taking animal all this time, so I don't think I would mind hybrid.

In any event, I'll look what's out there when it is time to replace mine. I had just restocked recently.

@monicakm  Thanks for this discussion!

Honored Contributor

So, did anyone see HSN Beauty Report last night? M Asam had a kit with a Collagen face cream and Collagen eye cream. The new female rep for M Asam said that this was plant based collagen made from something she called White Lupine, any comments, anyone used it?