Respected Contributor

Ingesting Collagen has ZERO proven benefits. Speak to a Doctor. My Derm said its another unproven beauty myth.

Respected Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

From Amazon

Andrew Lessman Marine & Free Range Collagen Peptides Powder & MSM 120 Servings - Supports Radiant Smooth Soft Skin, Comfortable Joints. Super Soluble No Fishy Flavor No Additives Non-GMO

Operative word he always uses " Supports" - ingesting collagen is another beauty myth.

Honored Contributor

I have read using topical collagen has no real benefits either. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

Somehow Pacifica Cosmetics also has a line of Vegan Collagen skin care, we have discussed this here before. 

Show me the collagen in their list of ingredients in any of their Vegan Collagen products. I don't see any listed. @Shelbelle 

I probably would not know what to look for!!

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

Somehow Pacifica Cosmetics also has a line of Vegan Collagen skin care, we have discussed this here before. 

Show me the collagen in their list of ingredients in any of their Vegan Collagen products. I don't see any listed. @Shelbelle 

I probably would not know what to look for!!

@Shelbelle 

This is what Pacifica calls their "vegan collagen":

Sr-Hydrozoan Polypeptide-1

That's a polypeptide derived from marine animals called hydrozoa which are related to jellyfish and corals. Pacifica is wrong in calling their product vegan.

Trusted Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

Ingesting Collagen has ZERO proven benefits. Speak to a Doctor. My Derm said its another unproven beauty myth.

My Dr. Says the same thing. I cannot deny the way my hair and nails have grown, nor the pain relief I have had since taking collagen. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee   I enjoy and respect your posts.....just thought you might want to take a look at this:

We (Pacifica) use real collagen proteins produced through a plant-sourced fermentation process that uses zero animal inputs while demonstrating its equivalence to animal-derived collagens through structural, biochemical, physical and biological properties

I've been wanting to try collagen but knew the challenges considering my lifestyle so I started researching vegan collagen.  

It is my understanding that vegan collagen can be produced two ways:  the first contains no collagen (you are correct) - only precursors are used that are the building blocks (such as bamboo-silica) that stimulates collagen growth.  The other method is vegan collagen which employees yeast and bacteria to create actual collagen.

I'm going to purchase the Pacifica collagen kit....I'll report it you'd like.  Hopefully, however we get there....we will all end up with beautiful healthy complexions. @SilleeMee  I enjoy and learn from your posts and have incorporated so much of your knowledge.... want you to know how grateful I am for your shares.

Honored Contributor

Thank you @phoenixbrd . Very kind post! 

The fact that Pacifica uses "hydrozoan" in their description of their peptide ingredient tells me all I need to know. They got it from an animal, plain and simple.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I have read using topical collagen has no real benefits either. 

Collagen is a large molecule, too large to be absorbed by the skin.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I notice better results with the one I am taking now over the Verisol which I took for a few years. My nails are so hard now, I cant even cut them.  I need better results with my hair but I think that is sadly a  lost cause. 

@Shelbelle I don't take collagen supplements, but my thumb nails are so hard I have to use a toenail clipper on them.  My other nails are rather hard, but they tend to crack right at or just above the quick, probably a lot due to all the yard work I do, but they do it in winter too.