Trusted Contributor

Coconut oil to remove makeup?

After watching the It Cosmetics TSV presentation, I wondered whether coconut oil could be just as effective as the Bye Bye Makeup to remove eye and face makeup.  Any opinions?  I was really only interested in the makeup removing balm and the brush, but wasn't willing to spend $70 for those two items.  Anyone use coconut oil to remove makeup successfully?

Honored Contributor

Re: Coconut oil to remove makeup?

My facial cleanser takes off all my makeup usually unless I wear a waterproof mascara or eyeliner, in which case all I ever use to remove it is coconut oil. I can't use things like baby oil because it always feels heavy and like I have oil in my eyes but coconut oil is fine. I also don't use coconut oil all over my face, just to remove my eye makeup. It works GREAT for that and keeps the skin and lashes soft and supple.

Trusted Contributor

@Mrsq2022------Coconut Oil is good for EVERYTHING.  Just close your eyes kind of tight. Gently remove makeup.  It works. Scars,it works, cooking, it works.  Just use separate jars for body and food.------tedEbear

Trusted Contributor

Thanks ladies!  I never really loved the oil cleansing method (using castor oil and another oil I believe?) becaus I too felt like I was getting oil in my eyes.  But I love coconut oil for moisturizing, for my hands and lips and cooking and eating.  I do think that my normal cleanser removes my makeup but sometimes I'm left with raccoon eyes after cleansing my face.  I think that I will start using coconut oil to remove my eye makeup.  I may just use a little on a cotton ball after cleansing to get the residual black makeup off.  

Honored Contributor

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

Thanks ladies!  I never really loved the oil cleansing method (using castor oil and another oil I believe?) becaus I too felt like I was getting oil in my eyes.  But I love coconut oil for moisturizing, for my hands and lips and cooking and eating.  I do think that my normal cleanser removes my makeup but sometimes I'm left with raccoon eyes after cleansing my face.  I think that I will start using coconut oil to remove my eye makeup.  I may just use a little on a cotton ball after cleansing to get the residual black makeup off.  

Yes what I do is use those cotton pads (cotton balls tend to leave cotton strands on my lashes, lol) and put just a tiny tad of coconut oil on it (I actually like the coconut oil in a more solid state when I use it for my eyes but that is just a personal preference) and then gently rub/dab it on my lashes and where my eyeliner is at then use the rest of the area of the pad to remove the remaining traces. But I use so little that there really isn't much left to remove. Good luck! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

After watching the It Cosmetics TSV presentation, I wondered whether coconut oil could be just as effective as the Bye Bye Makeup to remove eye and face makeup.  Any opinions?  I was really only interested in the makeup removing balm and the brush, but wasn't willing to spend $70 for those two items.  Anyone use coconut oil to remove makeup successfully?

I only use coconut oil for a makeup remover. Its gentle takes off all makeup and its cheap, and your not using chemicals on your skin.

Valued Contributor

Yes! I use coconut oil for removing my makeup, as well as a moisturizer for my legs, feet and hands. A little goes a long way, plus it's natural. Also makes a great cuticle conditioner. Hth and enjoy your day.

Honored Contributor

It does work, but use caution. Coconut oil breaks me out badly. I used it as a makeup remover for a few days and had a terrible breakout. I waited until I cleared up and tested again, same thing. I don't allow coconut oil anywhere near my face now.

Regular Contributor

I use coconut oil with baking soda as a scrub....Use one teaspoon coconut oil and one teaspoon of baking soda and mix well.should be thick enough to spread on face leave on for 5-10 minutes then remove with  warm water.....I scrub as I wash my face and it is so soft after using the scrub....Once aweek for awhile then use more often..

Super Contributor

I use the Yes To Coconuts Ultra Hydrating Melting Cleanser. It is the best stuff ever! I rub it on my face and let it soak in for a couple of minutes then rinse off and follow up with my second cleanser (yes I am a double cleanser). I never have any makeup left  after the first cleanse with this stuff.