Respected Contributor

Re: Coconut oil as a moisturizer

On 3/27/2015 juncus said:
On 3/25/2015 BellaCarro said: Coconut oil is an emollient. It will not hydrate your skin. Only water or water soluble ingredients will hydrate. It is not occlusive so it will not prevent trans epidermal water loss either. SQ3 is so right. It is highly comedogenic, 4 out 5.
That sounds about right. While I am an avid user of oil on my face (avocado oil being my favorite), sometimes my skin still feels thirsty. In the dead of winter when my skin is at its driest, I can FEEL the lack of water in my skin, no matter how much oil I slather on it. I want to find something to supplement my oil with to put water in my skin (and help keep it in). Now that the cold weather has passed, my skin looks and feels very soft, supple and healthy using only apple cider vinegar to tone and avocado oil to moisturize -- but I do need to find a very natural water vehicle with minimal ingredients for those extra-dry times my face experiences.
Juncus, you might try just a water based toner or mist. I use one by Heritage Store, Rosewater & Glycerin. It states only three ingredients, Vor-mag water, vegetable glycerin, and rosa damascena. (I have to say, I find it hard to believe there is not a preservative. For as long as they last me there should be some microbe activity. But, that is another topic, sort of.)
I love this stuff. It is light, refreshing, smells just enough of natural rose. I mist this before applying ceramide and or hyaluronic acid serum. I follow with a cream moisturizer but you could use your avocado oil. I think it might work well for you. I find it easily at Whole Foods. They have one in a mist bottle and one in a disc top. Think it's about $8. You could also add a hyaluronic acid serum but that's probably a little pricier and may have other ingredients. HA is found in deep layers of our skin. I make my own now. Easy peasy.
Other than coconut and avocado which oils have you tried? Hemp seed oil is fantastic, IMO. Google its properties and see what you think. It also is a 1 out of 5 on the comedogenic scale so it has a significantly lower risk of clogging pores. Another I've been playing around with in formulas is andiroba oil. I made a balm for some folks at the salon I use and they are thrilled that it healed their chapped, water logged fingers. Geez, does that oil sink in quickly! Quickest I've ever experienced.
Hope you find the Heritage Store mist if it interests you. If so, I'd love to hear how it works for you.
Super Contributor

Re: Coconut oil as a moisturizer

On 3/27/2015 lovestoteach said:

The derm once told us to wet the skin (for eczema) and before it dries, apply crisco/Vaseline/butter-- ROFL... HE DIDNT CARE HE SAID IT WOULDN'T MATTER because the heavy stuff just holds in the moisture. These probably would clog pores on the face, but using this idea, works for emergency dry skin under the eyes for me. It corrects the situation quickly.

loves, may sound whacko but I believe this. as a teenager, parents not taking my eczema seriously, I used to melt Crisco on a spoon on the stove and slather it on my beautiful teenaged skin!!!! I KNEW it needed some kind of moisture, and that was in the 'old' days, so who knew. I was being my own experiment. Pores? probably had no problem with my young self {#emotions_dlg.sad}