Super Contributor

Re: Coconut oil as a moisturizer

I just read again the Oil Cleansing Method and Coconut Oil is not recommended as it's occlusive, yes it may cause pimples. That's what I thought I'd use....guess not. But I will be looking for Castor Oil and Sweet Almond Oil - better for those of us with oily skin!

Respected Contributor

Coconut oil is an emollient. It will not hydrate your skin. Only water or water soluble ingredients will hydrate. It is not occlusive so it will not prevent trans epidermal water loss either. SQ3 is so right. It is highly comedogenic, 4 out 5.
Respected Contributor

For a couple years now I have mixed it with my moisturizer and apply after showering and so far no problems with break outs ....I do not use it on my face though.
Trusted Contributor

I've used coconut oil, olive oil and jojoba oil. They all work as moisturizers and cleansers. I won't use anything that's not natural. Have you ever tried reading ingredients in skincare products? And even the most expensive ones, water is the first ingredient which means that is the main/most ingredient. Sorry I won't be spending my money on water and ingredients I can't even read or understand.
Respected Contributor

I use organic, extra virgin coconut oil do to my daily oil pulls. Afterwards, what is left on my lips works great as a balm. Same goes for my hands.

My DS uses it on his psoriasis to soothe flaky and irritated patches.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Frequent Contributor

Gives me giant hives! Odd because I can eat coconut, although I've never eaten a large amount at any one time.

Respected Contributor

Coconut Oil breaks me out! I was doing deep conditioning using it on my hair and would break out around my hairline if I didn't wash it really well afterwards. Not good on all.

Frequent Contributor

I use coconut oil for many things but I'm careful not to wash it down the drain as it will clog pipes.

Honored Contributor

I'm so glad it works for you! Coconut oil breaks me out like crazy, but I do use many other oils on my face and body. I like to use a scented body lotion and mix a few drops of oil in.

Valued Contributor

I so love the smell of coconut but can not eat it or use anything that the oil is in.

There is a lot of information on castor oil and beauty. I use it with a light hand, mostly around my eyes. Reading positive recommendations here, I have recently started using Marula Oil from Organics and it is everything (as least for me) that all the ladies said it is!

I am also using up a bottle of Bare Minerals 5 blend oil and I while I do like it, the cost is what will keep me from buying more. I tried Josie's argon and it didn't work for my face but is great on my feet and dry hands.