Honored Contributor

Re: Coconut oil and coconut alkanes

@mintedrose @Mindy D @SilleeMee 

Thanks for the great and concise chart, @Mindy D 

I have saved it and will work from it as a basis for understanding skin ingredients and their actions on the skin.

@mintedrose 

It is a mystery to me still about coconut alkanes....I have more work to do. I wonder about the antibacterial and antifungal properties...wondering if cosmetic companies are trying to break the oil down into its helpful parts?

Ah...more questions! It looks as though seed oils are having a hey-day (sea anemone) and all the hype may just be witchcraft!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Re: Coconut oil and coconut alkanes

[ Edited ]

The physical properties of alkanes are similar to those of silicone, its inorganic 'twin'. When you look a the chemical structures of each of these compounds they look similar and differ slightly with silicone chain vs hydrocarbon chain in alkanes. So to me it would make sense why some people have problems with coconut alkanes in skin care products.  @LTT1 

Sometimes when you see 'silicone-free' on a skin care product, it might contain coconut alkanes instead because those two ingredients are very similar in the way they do things. They provide 'slip', provide a moisture barrier and make products feel creamy.

You really can't compare coconut oil, MCT oil or coconut alkanes to one another. They are all made from the coconut but are very different from one another.