Valued Contributor

Coconut oil and coconut alkanes

Ive heard from dermatologists that coconut oil is extremely comedogenic. It rates as a number 4 as 5 being the highest. I do notice though theres a lot of it used in skin care lines which label them to be  "anti aging" which is not what it does.

The derm said since it clogs your pores, they sag which means your entire skin sags and guess what thats what makes you look older. 

I notice many lines use this ingredient. I love Josie's line however, in her vibrancy foundation and this new serum there is coconut in there. Not sure what to make of that. 

Thoughts? 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Honored Contributor

Re: Coconut oil and coconut alkanes

@mintedrose 

I’ve wondered too, but I think it depends on how it’s processed?

This is a guess.

MCT coconut oil is thinner and I believe if it is food grade, it may not be as comedogenic?

MCT coconut oil also remains liquid at room temp.

This is all I know which is “not much.”

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The coconut MCT oil shares the same comedogenic properties because it is derived from coconut oil.

Fractionated oil (MCT) can still clog pores, but not as much as VCO. @LTT1 

Respected Contributor

A lot of dermatologists are fools.  They'd rather inject your skin with poisons like Botox and fillers of "safe" chemical materials akin to plastics.  Better yet maybe they can prescribe long-term doses of antibiotics and Accutane for you and really cause irreparable harm.

Do not fear the coconut oil!!!

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

I agree! I used to have sever eczema about 2x per yr, & ended up in the dermatologist office. I have started using a table spoon of coconut oil in my bath water. I have not been to the dermatologist in 3yrs. I swear by CO for skin irritations. 

Honored Contributor

@mintedrose

I will look up your specific question since I need more information.
On a certain Facebook group (dealing with Lichen Planopilaris) a cosmetologist gave me an answer concerning shampoo I was using. She told me that certain ingredients were of the coconut family and caused hair to feel weighed down. There was also discussion of anions. Good info...I will go back and re-read!
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

B886B13E-3875-4717-B71F-ACA94CFFBBCE.jpeg

The comedogenic scale. All entries were tested using pure substances.

Valued Contributor

@jellyBEAN Dont get me wrong I absolutely LOVE coconut and everything that comes from it. Ive used it all my life from head to toe.

I totally agree with you that on some points Derms dont understand but I wonder if they have a point here. Reason being is that i started massaging my face with coconut oil before i cleansed and i started seeing a tons of clogged pores and couldnt understand what was causing it. I dont wear foundation everyday and use very good skin care. So it just got me thinking... 

Valued Contributor

@TX-starlight  My husband has eczema on his hands and it gets bad certain time of the year and coconut oil really helps him too. Smiley Happy 

I think for body its ok but I dont think I wanna use it on my face anymore. I might just substitue with almond or avocado oil. 

Valued Contributor

@LTT1  I do believe for skin irritation on the body coconut oil works excellent. It calms the skin and also acts as an anti viral anti fungal agent among other great qualities. I was only referring to it for using on the face.