Contributor

I've been using it on me and my pitbulls for about a year and the vet couldn't get over how good their coats looked! I started putting it on them when my younger pitbull came to us. He was only 5 to 6 weeks and he wasn't in great shape (bred for all the wrong reasons). Now he is healthy and his shiny coat makes him look so handsome! My skin feels awesome and my self tanner goes on so much better cause my skin is finally consistent. I used to get weird scaling on my legs before the coconut oil.

Super Contributor
On 5/6/2014 kachina624 said:
On 5/6/2014 MarenSeattle said:

For those who go to Costco, I get a 78 oz (4.875 lbs!) plastic jar for about $25 (can't remember exactly). It's Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin. I use 1-2 tablespoons in my coffee and it's a nice flavor (I've tried some brands that are kind of bitter for some reason). It seems to be something they're stocking all the time.

ETA: I've begun using it more and more in cooking. Even with eggs! Initially the thought made me gag but it really imparts a very subtle, nice flavor -- not really coconutty at all.

Why in the world would anyone add fat, especially that much, to coffee? The thought of it makes me want to gag. Everyone is trying to reduce fat in the diet. You must be trying to gain weight. Also what makes this stuff organic?

I can't answer for "anyone", but for me I primarily take it because I have Hepatitis C and it's an anti-viral (Hep C is a virus). It contains 50% lauric acid and it's the most natural source of lauric acid available. I've seen some recommendations for 3 tablespoons daily, but as I said, I use between one and two.

I emulsify in my almond milk with a stick blender before adding to coffee and it becomes rich and creamy. I don't gag, otherwise I wouldn't be doing it.

I'm not certain what "makes this stuff organic" but they do show the USDA Organic Certified label which indicates it needed to meet certain criteria and get the go-ahead from the USDA.

I am not trying to gain weight.

Contributor

For many years I fell for the "NO FAT" diet baloney. I stayed with this for many years and I can assure you it was the biggest mistake of my life. Coconut Oil is a good fat and has many benefits for the skin and for the heart as well. I have been using one tablespoon coconut oil in my coffee for over a year now as well as "oil pulling" with it. Beautiful white teeth, very good health, and skin finally showing a glow instead of dull and wrinkly. I wish I could go back 30 years and know what I know now about good fats.

Honored Contributor
On 5/6/2014 Dharma_Initiative said:
On 5/5/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:<br /> <br /> Did you just decide to do this on your own or does your vet recommend it? What kind of dog do you have and how much do you feed him/her? I don't know how to say this delicately, but does it affect their "eliminations", making them greasy, or giving the dog a sense of urgency?

I have 2 dogs and I'm only giving it to one b/c he needs it. He's 9 years old and we adopted him 3 months ago from less than ideal circumstances. I'm putting just a tiny bit of CO on his kibble b/c his skin and coat are dull and dry due to years of bad nutrition. One of my very experienced dog friends suggested it.

You don't give too much or it can cause loose stools. I'm not sure if that's just if you start off with too much and their system isn't used to it or if too much will always cause that. Every dog is probably different in that regard but good point, thanks for asking. My friend suggested 1/4 tsp. to start, building up to 1 tsp., but I don't measure. I just take out a tiny chunk and spread it around. The amount would also probably vary by the size of the dog. Mine weighs 11 lbs.

Our other dog doesn't need it. I don't like to rock the boat with her diet since she's been a very healthy dog for all 10 years of her life (knock on wood). HTH

Great, thanks for the explanation.

Valued Contributor

We get the Nutivia at Costco when its on sale for 15.00 i get 2 or 3 at a time..Its great to cook with and i even made mayo with it..Have not used on my face but have on my arms and my hair..I got a cold sore and applied it evey 20 min and it healed it up pretty fast.Amazing!

Honored Contributor
On 5/6/2014 kachina624 said:

For those who go to Costco, I get a 78 oz (4.875 lbs!) plastic jar for about $25 (can't remember exactly). It's Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin. I use 1-2 tablespoons in my coffee and it's a nice flavor (I've tried some brands that are kind of bitter for some reason). It seems to be something they're stocking all the time.

ETA: I've begun using it more and more in cooking. Even with eggs! Initially the thought made me gag but it really imparts a very subtle, nice flavor -- not really coconutty at all.

Why in the world would anyone add fat, especially that much, to coffee? The thought of it makes me want to gag. Everyone is trying to reduce fat in the diet. You must be trying to gain weight. Also what makes this stuff organic?

I can't answer for "anyone", but for me I primarily take it because I have Hepatitis C and it's an anti-viral (Hep C is a virus). It contains 50% lauric acid and it's the most natural source of lauric acid available. I've seen some recommendations for 3 tablespoons daily, but as I said, I use between one and two.

I emulsify in my almond milk with a stick blender before adding to coffee and it becomes rich and creamy. I don't gag, otherwise I wouldn't be doing it.

I'm not certain what "makes this stuff organic" but they do show the USDA Organic Certified label which indicates it needed to meet certain criteria and get the go-ahead from the USDA.

I am not trying to gain weight.

Thank you for your response. I hope the coconut oil helps improve your health.

I tried to do a little research on the "organic" aspect of the product. There isn't much information available. Even those plants that have been treated with fertilizers or insecticides seem to have such low levels they're barely measurable. The tree doesn't seem to be much affected by pests. There is some treatment of some harvested fruit for mold, but this is apparently limited to certain places. The Phillipines are the largest producer of coconuts and thousands of trees were killed in the devastating typhoon of 2013, which may affect the price on the world market.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Is there EVER a better "scent" than coconut? Really. I can't resist anything that smells like coconut. Oh, I also can't resist anything that smells like vanilla. Or, wait, like lime either. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Frequent Contributor
I totally agree with using organic coconut oil as an entire body moisturizer. My skin was so dry and scaly until I started this regimen. Even my husband noticed the difference on my arms and said there was a slight healthy looking glow now. I love how my skin looks and feels after the coconut oil is absorbed.
Super Contributor
On 5/6/2014 MidNight said:

We get the Nutivia at Costco when its on sale for 15.00 i get 2 or 3 at a time..Its great to cook with and i even made mayo with it..Have not used on my face but have on my arms and my hair..I got a cold sore and applied it evey 20 min and it healed it up pretty fast.Amazing!

Holy cow! $15???? I'd better drop by more frequently!

Too many people have commented that they get a zit (or more) from using it on their face, although some have no problem, I don't want to chance it. I have plenty of other stuff I pile on, anyway.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Trusted Contributor

I have a jar for my body and one for cooking. I had the Nutiva brand and I have that jar still left for my body, but I couldn't find it in stock again so bought Louana brand for cooking. I love to cook bell peppers in coconut oil. Yum!