Trusted Contributor

I've used it on my hair, on my nails/cuticles, on dry skin patches, on my lips. I also cook with it (I have 2 separate jars!) I love bell peppers sauteed in coconut oil.

It's good stuff!

Never tried it in coffee, not sure I would like it, does it get greasy?

Respected Contributor

I use it to remove my eye makeup and I love doing a deep condition of my hair with it. I just soak my hair in it and then wrap my head with saran wrap and keep it on for a few hours as long as I can handle it.

Contributor

I was in Costco the other day and they were out of the Carrington Farms coconut oil. I was told that the next shipment will be the Kirkland brand.

Honored Contributor
On 3/16/2014 KJPA said: FYI - I have had the jar of coconut oil from Costco for about a year now. It is enormous! And it is "pure, unrefined, cold pressed, 100% organic extra virgin." I think it's good. BTW, I suggest everyone do their research and not just believe what "they" say. Read, try things, and decide for yourself what works best and makes you feel the best. Just keep an open mind and always try to do what's right for yourself (without harming others, of course.) For myself, I feel much better when I stay away from grains. I really think they are bad for at least some of us.

I agree about doing your own research and not just believing what "they" say. Problem is, especially now with the Internet, you have to be very discerning about the information you pull up to make sure it is fact-based, credible, and not biased (as in, are they trying to sell me something?).

I personally don't like the feel of coconut on my body or even on my hair, and I am definitely not going to cook with it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor
On 3/16/2014 KJPA said:
On 3/16/2014 kachina624 said: I'd like to know how one goes about producing an "organic" coconut? How does it differ from an inorganic coconut?
Haha! Good question. Since I don't grow any produce, especially coconuts here in PA, I don't really know but I "assume" some are grown with the aid of chemical fertilizers and insect/disease sprays. Supposedly you can't call your product organic if you use chemicals, right?
I've seen coconut palms growing on tropical beaches and I'm pretty sure no one was fertilizing or spraying them.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Thank you for this thread. My BF had a jar he was hiding and not using so I asked for it. OMG I am in love. I gave some to my 85 year old mother cuz when I took her to the doctors I noticed that her arms look like crepe material and her face is dry. I use it for taking off makeup, on my body mixed with shea butter lotion, my hands (I removed my acrylic nails)and my hair before washing. I am not brave enough to add it to my coffee yet and I prefer a new container to cook with. Thank you!!!!!

Respected Contributor

I make my own sugar scrub with coconut oil

• Coconut Oil
  • Sugar
  • Flavored extract of your choice: almond, vanilla, mint, orange, etc

Step 1: Add 2 tablespoons of sugar to your jar

Step 2: Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of coconut oil to the sugar

Step 3: Add 1/4 teaspoon flavored extract

Step 4: Mix well. You might need to add a little bit more oil or sugar to get the consistency that you want. Store in a cool place.

I use the flavored extracts, not essential oils, as this is going on my lips and I want to taste it, not smell it Smiley Happy

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Honored Contributor
On 3/16/2014 KJPA said: FYI - I have had the jar of coconut oil from Costco for about a year now. It is enormous! And it is "pure, unrefined, cold pressed, 100% organic extra virgin." I think it's good. BTW, I suggest everyone do their research and not just believe what "they" say. Read, try things, and decide for yourself what works best and makes you feel the best. Just keep an open mind and always try to do what's right for yourself (without harming others, of course.) For myself, I feel much better when I stay away from grains. I really think they are bad for at least some of us.

I bought the big jar at Costco too, the product is just the same as the one I bought from Amazon, but the price was better. I just use it on my hair and body. I am keeping it in the extra fridge then transferring to a smaller jar.

Honored Contributor
On 3/17/2014 kaycee46 said:

I was in Costco the other day and they were out of the Carrington Farms coconut oil. I was told that the next shipment will be the Kirkland brand.

Interesting. wonder what the price will be?

Regular Contributor

I was in Costco today and my DH and I both noticed that a number of items are being switched from various brands to Kirkland brands. The roasted nuts for example. That annoys us -- and their chicken, both Foster Farms and Kirkland brands have been re-called numerous times in the past year. I won't buy Foster Farms poultry from any store and now I'm Not buying chicken from Costco anymore, period. They are asleep at the wheel when it comes to food safety. And I have always liked the fact that Costco carried a nice selection of brands. It's becoming a brand bandit with Kirkland, and the quality of food products overall is beginning to suffer. I've read their revenue is off. Hope they right their ship soon -- because Costco used to be worth every penny -- and bit of fun in the process!