Super Contributor

Great thread. I had a jar in my basket and put it back the other day.......I am going back for it.

Regular Contributor

Like a previous poster said, make sure you buy unrefined, organic coconut oil. After many years and more money than I care to count, I now use coconut oil, with a few drops of lime juice, exclusively as my facial moisturizer. It is inexpensive, works as well or better than all the others I have tried through the years. I have used olive oil or canola oil for the past 35 years for cooking, but I did sauté some shrimp in the coconut oil. the other day. I highly recommend it!

Valued Contributor
On 3/16/2014 SuziQ2 said:

Coconut Oil has been given a bad rap. We have been told wrong things about it. It is really a very healthy oil to use. My daughter and I went online and looked it up, and found a huge long list of things it will help, inside and outside of the body. I guess it has a lot of healing properties.

I saw that huge tub at Costco too, but I didn't buy it yet. I wanted to make sure it was the best kind, and haven't gotten around to doing it yet as too much else going on in our lives right now. Kudos to the gals who have found it to be a great thing to use and the good results you are getting with it.

The one at Costco is the best kind and a great deal.

Trusted Contributor
FYI - I have had the jar of coconut oil from Costco for about a year now. It is enormous! And it is "pure, unrefined, cold pressed, 100% organic extra virgin." I think it's good. BTW, I suggest everyone do their research and not just believe what "they" say. Read, try things, and decide for yourself what works best and makes you feel the best. Just keep an open mind and always try to do what's right for yourself (without harming others, of course.) For myself, I feel much better when I stay away from grains. I really think they are bad for at least some of us.
KJPA
Honored Contributor
I'd like to know how one goes about producing an ""organic"" coconut? How does it differ from an inorganic coconut?
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor
On 3/16/2014 kachina624 said: I'd like to know how one goes about producing an "organic" coconut? How does it differ from an inorganic coconut?
Haha! Good question. Since I don't grow any produce, especially coconuts here in PA, I don't really know but I "assume" some are grown with the aid of chemical fertilizers and insect/disease sprays. Supposedly you can't call your product organic if you use chemicals, right?
KJPA
Honored Contributor
On 3/16/2014 jazzbabe said:
On 3/16/2014 SuziQ2 said:

Coconut Oil has been given a bad rap. We have been told wrong things about it. It is really a very healthy oil to use. My daughter and I went online and looked it up, and found a huge long list of things it will help, inside and outside of the body. I guess it has a lot of healing properties.

I saw that huge tub at Costco too, but I didn't buy it yet. I wanted to make sure it was the best kind, and haven't gotten around to doing it yet as too much else going on in our lives right now. Kudos to the gals who have found it to be a great thing to use and the good results you are getting with it.

The one at Costco is the best kind and a great deal.

Yes, it is Nutiva brand and it is the best. And it has a very subtle coconut scent and flavor and fresh and pure. Some brands stink, believe it or not, even though they say they are organic and extra virgin. Not sure why some smell so different but they do.

Respected Contributor
On 3/16/2014 gin49 said: I don't use coconut oil but, I do use coconut water to make smoothies. Coconut water comes from unripe coconuts before it becomes coconut milk. It actually is very healthy. The brand I use is called live better. 8 oz is only 30 calories, has only 3 grams of sugar & 8 grams total carbs. It contains electrolytes & has more potassium than a banana. For me, it also works as a diuretic. Once a day for lunch, I mix 8oz with ice, secure meal replacement, a small handful of spinach & a handful of froz. mixed fruit, a little cinnamon & 1 tbsp. of superboost superfood from nutribullet. As a result, I have more energy, less inflamation & lost 16 lbs in about 4 months.

I also use coconut water in my Nutribullet. I never thought about adding cinnamon. Great idea. Bet it's a great addition.

Trusted Contributor
On 3/16/2014 just bee said:
On 3/16/2014 philogirl said:
On 3/16/2014 libbey said:
On 3/16/2014 nikki48 said: I use it for hair and body, haven't crossed over to eating, cooking or "pulling" with it yet although I have heard good result when doing it.

I have been "pulling" for about a month now. Sister noticed that my teeth are a bit whiter. I like they way my gums are responding. The oil does have a slight antibacterial effect. I LOVE this stuff!

I have been using it for cooking so far. What is "pulling"?

Google "oil pulling." Lots of info online. I've tried it. I liked it. But I'm weird. Wink

"Pulling" is a technique of rinsing with oil and swishing it around in your mouth for some time before spitting out. It is supposed to help breath, oral health and whiten teeth as well as some talk of helping to remove toxins. I agree, if you google it you will find plenty of info.
#IAmTeamWen
Esteemed Contributor

I use coconut water shampoo which I like... I do not like coconut oil the taste is horrible and its very greasy. JMHO!