Contributor

Be careful with coconut oil, it can raise your cholesterol even if you use it topically.

Super Contributor
On 3/16/2014 moonstone dunes said:

Do you all scoop it into smaller jars to keep it pure ? The jar I got in 32 oz.

I have mine in a small squeeze bottle I run it under hot water to get it liquid because a few drops go a long way. I also use it to shave my legs & remove eye make up. Check out youtube you can get some good ideas.
Respected Contributor
I use it for popcorn, in my stir-crazy.
Contributor
On 3/16/2014 nikki48 said: I use it for hair and body, haven't crossed over to eating, cooking or "pulling" with it yet although I have heard good result when doing it.

I have been "pulling" for about a month now. Sister noticed that my teeth are a bit whiter. I like they way my gums are responding. The oil does have a slight antibacterial effect. I LOVE this stuff!

Super Contributor

Coconut oil is a saturated fat, which can be problematic for people with heart problems. One tablespoon of coconut oil contains 117 calories, 14 grams fat, 12 g saturated fat. Movie theaters used to use coconut oil for their popcorn, but switched to canola oil after concerns about the amount of saturated fat in coconut oil. There are many claims about health benefits for coconut oil (including claims that it lowers cholesterol), but there aren't any medical studies that verify this. The medical community is split over the use of coconut oil. Personally not saying that coconut oil is bad or good, but I'm a fact person and have been studying both sides of the issue. My own doctor says that coconut oil is better than solid fats and transfats, but not as healthy as liquids low in unsaturated fats like olive oil. Interesting chart here: /http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/culinaryreference/a/fattable.htm

Respected Contributor

For the health benefits be sure to buy the VIRGIN, UNREFINED coconut oil. The only downside is -if you do not like the smell or taste of coconut you will have a problem because it is strong!!

{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Honored Contributor

http://wellnessmama.com/5734/101-uses-for-coconut-oil/

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

haha, I use it in my coffee too (by itself) and I remember several posters saying how gross. Funny thing is, if you read most creamers, they contain palm oils. LOLOLOL. At least mine is more natural.

But I like it on my hair just not on my facial skin. I don't really cook with it though because as much as I like coconut, I don't like everything having a hint of coconut. I don't need my eggs tasting like coconut!

Frequent Contributor

I just bought some coconut oil this week and have used it in cooking. No one can tell. I've also used it on my hands and in just 3 days noticed the whites of my nails are very white. My daughter has made a fudge with coconut oil that she says is delicious.

Valued Contributor
On 3/16/2014 cassiem said:

Coconut oil is a saturated fat, which can be problematic for people with heart problems. One tablespoon of coconut oil contains 117 calories, 14 grams fat, 12 g saturated fat. Movie theaters used to use coconut oil for their popcorn, but switched to canola oil after concerns about the amount of saturated fat in coconut oil. There are many claims about health benefits for coconut oil (including claims that it lowers cholesterol), but there aren't any medical studies that verify this. The medical community is split over the use of coconut oil. Personally not saying that coconut oil is bad or good, but I'm a fact person and have been studying both sides of the issue. My own doctor says that coconut oil is better than solid fats and transfats, but not as healthy as liquids low in unsaturated fats like olive oil. Interesting chart here: /http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/culinaryreference/a/fattable.htm

I remember when Taco Bell used coconut oil to fry the shells -- I also remember paying only $0.15 for a taco! I think it was some time in the mid-1980's that Taco Bell was purchased by Pepsi Co. and it was then that they discontinued using coconut oil and switched to corn oil.