Honored Contributor

I agree with KittenShopper. I'd run from any doctor suggesting canola oil is healthy. It is a pretty unhealthy oil.

This thread sure proves a lot of people fell for the con job done on coconut oil by the soy industry years ago and many people have yet to learn the truth.

Honored Contributor
If you like this stuff, you'd better hoard a supply. About 1/3 of the world's coconut palms were destroyed in last year's horrific typhoon in the Philippines and the price of coconuts has almost doubled. It's expected to go much higher.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor
On 3/23/2014 ceegee2 said:
On 3/16/2014 cassiem said:

Coconut oil is a saturated fat, which can be problematic for people with heart problems. One tablespoon of coconut oil contains 117 calories, 14 grams fat, 12 g saturated fat. Movie theaters used to use coconut oil for their popcorn, but switched to canola oil after concerns about the amount of saturated fat in coconut oil. There are many claims about health benefits for coconut oil (including claims that it lowers cholesterol), but there aren't any medical studies that verify this. The medical community is split over the use of coconut oil. Personally not saying that coconut oil is bad or good, but I'm a fact person and have been studying both sides of the issue. My own doctor says that coconut oil is better than solid fats and transfats, but not as healthy as liquids low in unsaturated fats like olive oil. Interesting chart here: /http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/culinaryreference/a/fattable.htm

Not interested at all. My health comes first to me and since it is absorbed into the skin and raises cholesterol topically as well as when it is consumed, it seems unwise, IMO. I would only use this in moderation because of the health risks of saturated fats. 12 grams of saturated fat per tablespoon is very high compared to EVOO.

I use coconut oil all over my body when I get out of the shower

Where did you read or hear that it raises cholesterol using it topically?

Super Contributor
On 3/17/2014 nikki48 said:
On 3/16/2014 just bee said:
On 3/16/2014 philogirl said:
On 3/16/2014 libbey said:
On 3/16/2014 nikki48 said: I use it for hair and body, haven't crossed over to eating, cooking or "pulling" with it yet although I have heard good result when doing it.

I have been "pulling" for about a month now. Sister noticed that my teeth are a bit whiter. I like they way my gums are responding. The oil does have a slight antibacterial effect. I LOVE this stuff!

I have been using it for cooking so far. What is "pulling"?

Google "oil pulling." Lots of info online. I've tried it. I liked it. But I'm weird. Wink

"Pulling" is a technique of rinsing with oil and swishing it around in your mouth for some time before spitting out. It is supposed to help breath, oral health and whiten teeth as well as some talk of helping to remove toxins. I agree, if you google it you will find plenty of info.
Thanks for the replies. This is new to me!
Super Contributor
On 3/23/2014 DualCoasts said:

I was in Costco today and my DH and I both noticed that a number of items are being switched from various brands to Kirkland brands. The roasted nuts for example. That annoys us -- and their chicken, both Foster Farms and Kirkland brands have been re-called numerous times in the past year. I won't buy Foster Farms poultry from any store and now I'm Not buying chicken from Costco anymore, period. They are asleep at the wheel when it comes to food safety. And I have always liked the fact that Costco carried a nice selection of brands. It's becoming a brand bandit with Kirkland, and the quality of food products overall is beginning to suffer. I've read their revenue is off. Hope they right their ship soon -- because Costco used to be worth every penny -- and bit of fun in the process!

ITA. Kirkland is typically very good, but I hate to see a variety of brands disappear! The beauty items have been taken over by the brand x and Borghese in my location the last three years.