Occasional Contributor
I noticed lately that Algenist talks about their clinical measured results. That got me to wondering if any of the other brands have clinical measured results? Wouldn't it make more sense to buy an item with provable results rather than one that you like the sales person or packaging?
Frequent Contributor

Re: Clinical measured results

I was just going to start a dialogue about this very subject.  The Algenist representative/inventor/tv personality,,,, states clinical measured results, but does not show the actual clinical study at all at any time.   In fact, she is not the only one.  Noone shows the actual clinical study, or how it was performed, and who it was done on, and over what period of time?      Show the study people.!!!!!  Consumers are taking the respresentative's word for it.  What is said instead is the "perceived appearance" of the skin, not actual numbered results.  As a medical clinician, this irks me. 

Trusted Contributor

You know, if there really was one cream that was able to get rid of wrinkles and sagging the company that made it would not be able to keep it in stock. It would literally fly off the shelves. You would probably see women fighting in the aisles for it. 

No over the counter creams really work or they would be considered medicine and regulated by the government.

Honored Contributor

I happened to pick up an Algenist Concentrated Reconstructing Serum at ULTA on clearance recently.  I just started using it this week.  Of course, if it really delivers as promised I'm in trouble because the regular price is $98 for 1 oz which is more than I'm willing to pay.  i happen to still have the box because Iwanted to add the ingredient deck to my database.  

So, this is what is said on the box.  Note the asterisks.

Within 10 days of daily use: 

Skin density (suppleness, elasticity APPEARS appears restored in 86%* of subjects.

Skin radiance is BOOSTED in 93%* of subjects.

Within 4 weeks of daily use:

Deep wrinkles are VISIBLY minimized in 78%* of subjects.

Skin is NOTICEABLY tightened and lifted in 81% of subjects.

The above I'm assuming pertains to the specific product since it is separated from the below information.

When scientifically tested, Alguronic Acid demonstrated significant anti-aging properties: 

increasing elastin synthesis by UP TO 32%** and cellular regeneration by up to 55%***.

* Results obtained by SELF-ASSESSMENT of 100 women.

Average result measured following an IN VITRO test with Alguronic Acid (0.1%**, 0.04%***)

So, self-assessment is not clinical.  It's just your own observations about how the product worked.  And the other percentages are based on in-vitro which is done in a test tube with specific percentages of the touted ingredient, not a formulation in which we don't even know what the percentage is of the special ingredient they are touting.  

Honored Contributor

This thread is from 2013.

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

You know, if there really was one cream that was able to get rid of wrinkles and sagging the company that made it would not be able to keep it in stock. It would literally fly off the shelves. You would probably see women fighting in the aisles for it. 

No over the counter creams really work or they would be considered medicine and regulated by the government.

@Squirrel Lover

And they'd be shouting about it from the rooftops and it would be on the front page of every newspaper!

Trusted Contributor

@Icegoddess thank you for sharing  your remarkably indepth assessment  of Algenist's claims and phrasing.  Their representative  is adept at spinning the actual statistics and misrepresenting the results of their perception surveys.  

The presentations of the collagen serum are shady at best and the rep is unwaveringly evasive whenever a host stumbles upon a core question. How can a solid be the most abundant ingredient in a light, fluid suspension?  Of what benefit can topical collagen possibly be that differs from any other mundane occlusive agent, any hydrator?

A question came in from Facebook.  "Is there hyaluronic acid in your serum?"  The answer was , "we have alguronic acid".  How deceptive!  Why not just answer the question?  The two are acids but not the same so why not seize the opportunity to  tout the superior benefits of your own acid?

And why, again ,are we buying beauty products from an industrial fuel research  and development company?

Honored Contributor

am wondering if those clinical reports sway anyone into buying? it doesn't me--I need to try it on my skin and not depend on some elses face----

Honored Contributor

I believe cosmetics are not evaluated or controlled by the FDA so they can claim anything as long as they don't hurt anybody. I try everything and they do work to keep my skin fairly good looking for someone my age , but nothing dramatic. I do find that cheaper drug store brands do nothing for my skin and most times are irritating. IMO QVC does women a service by bringing us high quality, cutting edge skin care that we can return, if it doesn't work for us.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 the FDA will get involved if the companies make false claims especially if they start delving into changing skin structure.  That, the FDA claims, would then be considered a drug which would then have to be controlled by the FDA.  Many cosmetics companies have gone over the line and gotten warning letters from the FDA including the big companies like L'Oreal.   

They are very careful to word their promos so as not to go over that line.  They don't promise to eliminate wrinkles; they promise to lessen the APPEARANCE of fine lines and wrinkles.  Any good moisturzer will do that because it plumps the skin....temporarily.