Trusted Contributor

I'm about to finish my first bottle of cleansing oil (DHC brand) and am looking for recommendations for an alternative. I have oily skin, so I need something that rinses cleanly and doesn't clog pores.

I like the DHC cleansing oil because it thoroughly removes all makeup (including long wear mascara) in one step, I don't want to use a separate eye makeup remover. My only complaint is that it feels a bit "heavy" when I use it; I like the product, but I don't love it.

I would like something reasonably priced, I can't see myself spending $60+ on a facial cleanser :-)

Honored Contributor

Re: Cleansing oil for oily skin

The Tatcha Camelia is the only cleansing oil I've used that feels lighter than the DHC. I know there's another company that makes a Camelia Cleaning Oil,s o you may want to do a Google search for that. I use cleansing balms and love them, but none of the feel lighter than the DHC oil. The Nude Skincare Omega Jelly is somewhere between a balm and an oil and it's lighter than any of the balms I use.

Honored Contributor

On the recommendation of HappyDaze and BellaCarro, I am now using One Love Organics Vitamin B Active Moisture Cleansing Oil and Makeup remover. I absolutely love it. It's priced in the high 30s, but pharmaca.com carries it, and they always have a promo code. If you sign up for e-mails, you will get some insider codes as well -- often 30 percent.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

On 3/27/2015 suzyQ3 said:

On the recommendation of HappyDaze and BellaCarro, I am now using OneLoveOrganics cleansing oil (don't remember the whole title, but there's only one). I absolutely love it. It's priced in the high 30s, but you can buy it at pharmaca.com. They always have a promo code, and if you sign up, you will get some insider codes as well -- often 30 percent.

I used to use Boscia's cleansing oil and do still like it a lot but I over the moon love OLO cleansing oil. Boscia's is a little less $$ than OLO. I disliked DHC's cleansing oil. Probably because I had been using the two lighter ones mentioned. Recently, I tried one by Kate Ryan Skincare. It is def one of the heavier cleansing oils and not my cup of tea.

Hey SQ3! How are ya, bud? A little warm out there?
Honored Contributor

I have been using Dr. Young's Camellia Deep Cleansing Oil for well over a year. I've tried others, but it remains my favorite. I get it on Amazon. I didn't like DHC at all. Josie Maran's worked OK, but it's a little thick. Bare Minerals cleansing oil was alright but is a different oil composition. I prefer the Camellia Oil so Dr. Young remains my favorite. I've done enough experimenting to know I'm sticking with that one.

Honored Contributor

On 3/27/2015 BellaCarro said:

On the recommendation of HappyDaze and BellaCarro, I am now using OneLoveOrganics cleansing oil (don't remember the whole title, but there's only one). I absolutely love it. It's priced in the high 30s, but you can buy it at pharmaca.com. They always have a promo code, and if you sign up, you will get some insider codes as well -- often 30 percent.

I used to use Boscia's cleansing oil and do still like it a lot but I over the moon love OLO cleansing oil. Boscia's is a little less $$ than OLO. I disliked DHC's cleansing oil. Probably because I had been using the two lighter ones mentioned. Recently, I tried one by Kate Ryan Skincare. It is def one of the heavier cleansing oils and not my cup of tea.

Hey SQ3! How are ya, bud? A little warm out there?

I'm okay, hanging in there. Hope you and yours are doing well.

I live just about four blocks from the beach, so we usually don't get as hot during a heatwave as does most other parts of SoCal -- with the exception being during a Santa Ana wind, which blows the heat our way.

A bit of trivia that I've always loved: The opening paragraph of Raymond Chandler's short story "Red Wind" --

There was a desert wind blowing that night. It was one of those hot dry Santa Anas that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin i-t-c-h. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands' necks. Anything can happen. You can even get a full glass of beer at a cocktail lounge.

Love the"Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands' necks" line. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

On the recommendation of HappyDaze and BellaCarro, I am now using One Love Organics Vitamin B Active Moisture Cleansing Oil and Makeup remover. I absolutely love it. It's priced in the high 30s, but pharmaca.com carries it, and they always have a promo code. If you sign up for e-mails, you will get some insider codes as well -- often 30 percent.

yes, BEST.STUFF.EVER.

ETA: I actually have dry skin and love this but one of my best girlfriends is oily (super oily, actually) and she really loves this too. She said it has helped regulate her oil production and doesn't leave a greasy residue on her skin which, of course, would not be cool for an oily skinned gal.

Respected Contributor

I'm awaiting delivery of Skinfood's Black Sugar Cleansing Oil. It is on a boat from Korea.

Trusted Contributor

I use DHC and wash my face right after. No cleansing oil can really be used without another cleanser when you're an oily.
Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

On 3/27/2015 HappyDaze said:

yes, BEST.STUFF.EVER.

ETA: I actually have dry skin and love this but one of my best girlfriends is oily (super oily, actually) and she really loves this too. She said it has helped regulate her oil production and doesn't leave a greasy residue on her skin which, of course, would not be cool for an oily skinned gal.

Oil production is controlled by hormones. Nothing you do on the surface will matter, but a good pore cleaning will make you feel oilier until the pores start closing up again.
Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.