Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cleansing face --- makeup is not coming off???

It seems a catch 22 that a mild cleanser will clean as thoroughly.  

Honored Contributor

I use a cleansing cloth with water, and it works well to get off all the makeup and I then follow up with a gentle toner

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

I use First Aid Beauty cream cleanser.  No leftover makeup.  I also love the Campanelli (sp?) facial cloths.  Just wet them and everything comes off.  Throw them in the wash (no softener) air dry and ready to go again. No irritation for us sensitive girls.

Honored Contributor

I use Philosophy's Purity to take off my makeup including my eye makeup.  It does great.  My towels are white.

Super Contributor

I use It cosmetics bye bye makeup 3in1 remover beauty balm, with my Mia Clarisonic. 

I wear concealer and foundation every day. My skin comes out immaculate.

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@just bee I use this same cleansing regimen. 

What Konjac sponge do you use and where do you purchase?  I haven't heard of that one.  Thanks

@Sunshine Kate 

I've been using Konjac sponges for years.  I started with one for sensitive skin, made by EcoTools, then tried Earth Therapeutics.  I search for sales.  Originally bought them from drugstore.com and then, when they disappeared, my hunt began.  I've found them at Walmart and have ordered from Ulta and Walgreens websites. 

There are several companies that sell the sponge in a variety of sizes, shapes and colors.  Many are treated with different substances like charcoal, green tea, clay, collagen...

I just really like them!  They average $5 each, but I stock them when I see a sale.  Always keep a few in the closet.

ETA:

Just checked Ulta and they have turmeric and aloe EcoTools sponges at $4.99 -- buy one, get one 50% off.

@just bee Thank you!  

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I have to use very gentle products on my sensitive, rosacea prone face. Everything fragrance-free and no tugging or scrubbing!  

I found a Neutrogena creme cleanser that I really like --- so gentle and very moisturing!  

I cleaned my face the other night and all I had on my face was powder.  I looked at my skin in a magnifier mirror and was shocked to see traces of the powder still there!  

Why didn't the cleanser take all of the powder off?  I'd hate to think what it would do if I had on foundation, etc. 

Is it always necessary to use 2 products to clean one's face even if you use only a tiny bit of makeup?  

I do have facial cleansing cloths and also Micellar water.  Should I use one of these products first and then the creme cleanser?  

I wish there was ONE product that removed makeup and cleansed gently!!!! Is there????

Thank you! 

@AngelPuppy1  If you like the Neutrogena Cleanser, you should stick with it.  When I have a lot of makeup on, I use the Micellar Water first to remove the makeup.  Put Micellar Water on the cotton rounds, and wipe the makeup off first. Then I go in with cleanser and wash my face with it. Then I wipe clean with a microfiber facial cloth.   When I just have minimal makeup on, I just use the cleanser and the microfiber cloth.  (The Campanelli Makeup Remover Towels works really well).

Valued Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@just bee I use this same cleansing regimen. 

What Konjac sponge do you use and where do you purchase?  I haven't heard of that one.  Thanks

@Sunshine Kate 

I've been using Konjac sponges for years.  I started with one for sensitive skin, made by EcoTools, then tried Earth Therapeutics.  I search for sales.  Originally bought them from drugstore.com and then, when they disappeared, my hunt began.  I've found them at Walmart and have ordered from Ulta and Walgreens websites. 

There are several companies that sell the sponge in a variety of sizes, shapes and colors.  Many are treated with different substances like charcoal, green tea, clay, collagen...

I just really like them!  They average $5 each, but I stock them when I see a sale.  Always keep a few in the closet.

ETA:

Just checked Ulta and they have turmeric and aloe EcoTools sponges at $4.99 -- buy one, get one 50% off.

@just bee Thank you!  

I have also found konjac sponges at TJ Maxx and Marshalls.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I have to use very gentle products on my sensitive, rosacea prone face. Everything fragrance-free and no tugging or scrubbing!  

I found a Neutrogena creme cleanser that I really like --- so gentle and very moisturing!  

I cleaned my face the other night and all I had on my face was powder.  I looked at my skin in a magnifier mirror and was shocked to see traces of the powder still there!  

Why didn't the cleanser take all of the powder off?  I'd hate to think what it would do if I had on foundation, etc. 

Is it always necessary to use 2 products to clean one's face even if you use only a tiny bit of makeup?  

I do have facial cleansing cloths and also Micellar water.  Should I use one of these products first and then the creme cleanser?  

I wish there was ONE product that removed makeup and cleansed gently!!!! Is there????

Thank you! 

@AngelPuppy1   Hi. I don’t wear a lot of makeup, but spf is notoriously difficult to remove. I use an oil cleanser to dissolve it. You can try organic coconut oil (Trader Joe’s or WholeFoods, etc.). Huge jars are available for not much $$$.

In the morning, I use Cetaphil cleanser to remover Retin A or moisturizer residue.

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone!  For the most part, it seems like double cleansing is what works for most.  Something which I was hoping to avoid.  I have tried various methods of this in the past and it always seems to irritate and dry out my skin.  Using a cleanser such as the one I am currently using felt so kind and soothing to my skin but of course it figures that it is not doing a good job of getting all the makeup, etc. off.  I was told by a derm. in the past that I could try a foaming cleanser but this always dries my skin out terribly which causes more irritation and problems.  Not sure at this point what I am going to try or do.  But I am appreciative of all of your suggestions and am mulling them all over! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin