Honored Contributor

Cleansing face --- makeup is not coming off???

I have to use very gentle products on my sensitive, rosacea prone face. Everything fragrance-free and no tugging or scrubbing!  

I found a Neutrogena creme cleanser that I really like --- so gentle and very moisturing!  

I cleaned my face the other night and all I had on my face was powder.  I looked at my skin in a magnifier mirror and was shocked to see traces of the powder still there!  

Why didn't the cleanser take all of the powder off?  I'd hate to think what it would do if I had on foundation, etc. 

Is it always necessary to use 2 products to clean one's face even if you use only a tiny bit of makeup?  

I do have facial cleansing cloths and also Micellar water.  Should I use one of these products first and then the creme cleanser?  

I wish there was ONE product that removed makeup and cleansed gently!!!! Is there????

Thank you! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: Cleansing face --- makeup is not coming off???

Fresh Soy Cleanser - kind of expensive but you need very little.  You can often find travel sizes if you just want to try it before buying a larger size.   I've used it for years - it's really great.  I remove my eye makeup with Neutrogena makeup wipes before using this.  

Fresh Soy.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

I use a mild cleanser from Paula's Choice with a Konjac sponge. 

PC

However, I do use a wipe before I cleanse to remove the bulk of my makeup.  I buy cases of Natural Care Huggies at Costco.  Water, aloe, Vitamin E -- no alcohol.

Have you tried the Paula's Choice cleanser?  It's designed for dry, sensitive skin and rosacea.  I've been using it for years and stock it when there's a sale.

The Konjac sponge is gentle -- no scrubbing necessary.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Paula's Choice Softening Skin Cleanser.  You can buy it from Dermstore dot com.  It's gentle and removes all of my make-up.

Edited to say:  I see justbee and I were posting at the same time.  I don't use anything before or after the cleanser--only the cleanser.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I want to follow this topic.

I think the short answer is yes, you need more than one product.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi - I always wipe as much makeup off as I can with a wet washcloth.  Rinse the washcloth well, then apply cleanser to a corner of the cloth and wash again.   I'm currently using the Neutrogena Foaming Cleanser in the blue pump bottle (it's one of my faves).   Usually my makeup is all gone after the first cleansing - and I check in a 20X mirror!   Sometimes I need to lather my face again, but not very often.  I rinse like a demon, tho.  Getting all the cleanser off is very important to me.

From reading here, I think you and I have similar skin.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A microfiber cleansing cloth, dampened with just water, removes a lot of stuff from my face...makeup, sunscreen and daily dirt.  I use it first to remove most everything then I wash my face with cleanser afterwards. 

Microfiber cloths are really good at collecting small particles like powder and pigments from makeup. The cloth grabs on to that stuff and doesn't just keep pushing it around on your face.

Regular Contributor

Cerave Cleanser has done wonders for my rosacea. Inexpensive and can be found at Target or Walmart as well.

Cerave Cleanser.PNG

Contributor

ponds cold creme is the best

Valued Contributor

Another thumbs up for CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser. My derm recommended it years ago for my dry skin with mild rosacea. Takes off makeup and it's so gentle for my skin. Never leaves it feeling dry or irritated the way many cleansers can. Derm told me to only use cleansers at night. Splash of water is all the face needs in the morning. She said that "over-cleansing" is one of the biggest mistakes people make, which really irritates skin. The minute I followed her instructions, my irritated skin at the time completely resolved and I've followed her great advice ever since.