Honored Contributor

Re: Cleansing Oil for acne prone skin

I tried the OCM with various oils and combinations of oils, and it didn't help my acne prone skin. It just made things worse. Glad it worked for others but it's not for me. 

Respected Contributor

@River Song wrote:

@momoftwo2007,

I also have oily acne-prone skin and can recommend L'Occitane 5% Shea Cleansing Oil.  The oil base is primarily sunflower seed oil with added emulsifiers.  One pump is all you need, rub onto face to dissolve makeup, add a little water to your hands and rub your face to emulsify the oil (it turns milky), it rinses clean with no oily residue.  Since I have acne-prone skin, I then wash my face with Cerave foaming cleanser to remove any trace of oil.  Works great, no tugging like with a facial wipe, no breakouts.

Be very wary of the DIY oil cleansing recipes on the net.  They are composed of oils that are great for dry skin but cause havoc for those with acne-prone skin.  I blithely made my own DIY oil-cleansing mix from those recipes and had a severe breakout that took months to heal up.  If you want to pursue making your own oil cleansing mix, do your homework and Google oils appropriate for acne-prone skin (those oils with low oleic acid profiles and high linoleic acid profiles).

Thank you for your suggestion! @River Song  I'll add that to my list of cleansers to check out!

Respected Contributor

@wilma wrote:

I tried the OCM with various oils and combinations of oils, and it didn't help my acne prone skin. It just made things worse. Glad it worked for others but it's not for me. 

@wilma  That's what I am afraid of, and that's the reason I wanted to come here and ask what other people's experiences are before I purchase anything.

Honored Contributor

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

@wilma wrote:

@wilma  That's what I am afraid of, and that's the reason I wanted to come here and ask what other people's experiences are before I purchase anything.

@momoftwo2007I am over 60 and cannot use any oils on my skin. I ended up with sebaceous hyperplasia on my forehead from using Josie Maran's oil. It took some doing to rid myself of it. I was warned by my derm years ago to avoid oil but figured I was older now and the same rules didn't apply. I paid the price for disregarding her advice.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

@wilma wrote:

@momoftwo2007I am over 60 and cannot use any oils on my skin. I ended up with sebaceous hyperplasia on my forehead from using Josie Maran's oil. It took some doing to rid myself of it. I was warned by my derm years ago to avoid oil but figured I was older now and the same rules didn't apply. I paid the price for disregarding her advice.

@Trinity11  Treatment type oils aren't friendly with my skin either, or any moisturizers that are too heavy, too, for that matter, but that's not the same thing as using a cleansing oil.  

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

@wilma wrote:

@Trinity11  Treatment type oils aren't friendly with my skin either, or any moisturizers that are too heavy, too, for that matter, but that's not the same thing as using a cleansing oil.  

I tried a couple of cleansing oils and they just made my skin break out. So oil free is best for my own skin whether it is a cleansing oil that washes away or oils like argan oil that I apply twice a day.

Trusted Contributor

I hate the thought of using oils on my skin (more combination than oily now  but still prone to breakouts).  But I have tried a few and use the oil ceanser to remove makeup but do a second cleanse with a washoff type cleanser.  Tried Josie oil cleanser but that was too heavy for me.  Bare Minerals oil cleanser was OK for me and I have recenty started using Kate Somerville goat milk cleanser  Actually comes out of the tube more like a jelly consistency but it rinses off and then I follow that with whatever other cleanser I happen to be using then.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

@wilma wrote:

@Trinity11  That's interesting. Thanks for sharing your experience. I wonder if my skin is like yours.

Respected Contributor

@momoftwo2007

Erno Laszlo double cleansing system: Black Sea Mud oil and the Black Sea Mud Soap.

Pricey: yes, but the bar soap lasts 6+ months easy! Proven winner for oily/acneac skin types and is great for removing makeup as well as cleansing.

I use the pink system for sensitive skin at night and the white system (both w/the matching oils) in the morning.

Check out the Laszlo website for more info. Sephora also carries online and has a generous return policy.

Respected Contributor

@maestra I'll definitely check their website. I really like Mud Masks. So, many Mud oil and mud soap sounds interesting to me.