Respected Contributor

Hello! I am curious... how do you ladies clean your makeup brushes? I have a nice collection and I want to keep them! They are not cheap! Thanks!

Respected Contributor

I wash them with dish soap and a little water in the bathroom sink.  Then rinse well!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

Re: Cleaning makeup brushes

[ Edited ]

@Franklinbell A make up artist told me to use shampoo, but I use Woolite. Just a few swishes in a bowl of diluted Woolite, and they are as clean as a whistle. I have not tried Dawn, but if it is safe enough for oil-covered wildlife, it should be safe on brushes.

Edited to add: Rinse thoroughly. I let mine air dry on a towel.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Franklinbell  The brushes I use for foundations or other cream products, I temporarily clean with IT's spray cleaner sprayed on a paper towel each time. All brushes are washed once a week with a gentle cleanser like a baby wash. 

I dry them on the edge of the counter so both sides are exposed to the air.

Valued Contributor

I clean my brushes with baby shampoo. Brushes used for cream and liquids are cleaned after each use. Brushes used for powders are wash3d after two uses. I wash mine and lay them to dry on a towel. I have had brushes that have lasted me for years. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

After I wash mine in a Dawn bath, I hang them in my bathroom on the towel rod like this using rubber bands.

Wash with one of these mini silicone washboard eggs:

2022 high quality Cosmetic Tools Cleansing Egg Brush Make Up Silicone  Makeup Brush Cleaner, Cosmetic Tools makeup tools makeup cleaners - Buy  China Makeup Brush Cleaner on Globalsources.com

Hang dry after blotting.

Makeup Brush Cleaning Hack—And All You Need Are Hair Ties | Apartment  Therapy

HOW TO:

How to dry makeup brush with rubberband..jpg

Honored Contributor

Dawn dish detergent for me too, but in between washings I use Cinema Secrets Brush Cleaner. 

Genius hanging tricky, @SilleeMee!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee - I love your hanging to dry solution!

@Franklinbell - I wash mine with the liquid face cleaner I use. I lay them over the Kleenex box to dry- so the ends are over the edge.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Franklinbell 

I use a squirt of Dawn liquid detergent and my Sigma brush cleaning pad.  Dawn works great for the little duckies & our make-up brushes!  For daily cleaning I use a make-up remover wipe.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

I wash mine in the bathroom sink with hair shampoo and lay out on a towel to dry