Esteemed Contributor

I've been looking at clay detox masks lately, though haven't purchased any. Are they worthwhile? 

I apply Ordinary 10% lactic acid twice a week in the evening, along with cleansing. I think clay masks are considered to be exfoliators, so would it be too much to add a clay mask a couple times a week since I'm using lactic acid? I don't think I would add them together, only on separate days. It might be another benefit to my skincare, but I don't want to do overdo it, either. 

My skin tends to be dry, though I don't notice large pores on my face. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw  - my skin tends to be dry and the couple of clay masks that I've tried were way too drying for me.  I couldn't wait to get them off.  Face felt extremely tight and dry and was afraid I'd done more harm than good.  Never tried them again.

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw 

I was reading through your text to see if you mentioned what type of skin you have. I have dry skin too and wouldn't touch a clay mask.

Respected Contributor

Hey @monicakm  hope your feling better each day!

I'm with you. I have dry skin and it's awful.  Better for oily skin.

Take care now.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I thought clay masks were to deep clean and refine pores and acids or scrubs are for exfoliation.

Esteemed Contributor

Some beauty sites said that people with dry skin can use certain detox masks, so I wondered about that. I won't be ordering any, after all. There is no reason for me to apply one. 

I appreciate the responses. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

@teganslaw You could try the borghese advanced fango delicato moisturizing mud mask a531753

Regular Contributor

I use Aztec Secret Health & Beauty Indian Clay mask once a week on my face.  I have only skin. I don't think I would use it more than that on my face.  We (the whole family) have used it for poison ivy, bug bites, nerve pain, other rashes, etc.  I think it helps a lot.    

If anyone decides to use this clay. Do NOT get any down the sink. It will clog your pipes. I have to close the sink drain, then line sink with paper towels and use paper towels to wash off the mask.  Some will say it's a huge hassle but this stuff works for us.

Respected Contributor

I'd say I have normal to dry skin and have used a variety of clay/mud masks - Borghese's Fango, Beekman and others.  Some claim to be firming, some hydrating and some exfoliating.  I recently purchased the Korres Volcanic SkinReset Mask which is a clay mask with BHA's and AHA's in it (so I probably wouldn't use this along with your lactic acid).  I did not find any particularly drying and the Korres did make my skin feel very soft and smooth.  Not sure it did much for my pores but maybe with continued use (I do also use exfoliating pads with AHA's and BHA's so my pores are already somewhat smaller)..

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Clay detox masks

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw  I have dry skin and have used clay masks.  I think purifying is the word to describe what they do.  But they are drying.  If I were to use them again, I would limit it to my nose, or any part of the skin that tends to blemish or has large pores.  I don't think they exfoliate but I am not an expert.  So if you have large pores or blemishes, they may be good for that.