Respected Contributor

Classy set and presentation = Sales

Last weeknight I happened to surf and landed on HSN and stopped:  their set for Trish McEvoy makeup caught my eye.  It was all white with simple classic lines.  I stay tuned because the presentation was conducted in a very professional manner:

No one was yelling, talking over the other presenter, just clearly demonstrating live what a prospective purchaser would do to use the product.  I love the IT concealer and CC cream but ordered their concealer because of the entire set up.

Perhaps the QVC set could benefit from HSN's approach. As for my Mally mascara, I order that in a 6-pack and haven't watched nor listened to the NOISE which is a turnoff and very distracting.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Re: Classy set and presentation = Sales

[ Edited ]

I honestly cannot stand the lighting and sets I've seen on HSN and Evine when I've watched their beauty shows. I think they seem cheesy and cheap. I like the sets on QVC much better. The hosts- well, I can't  comment too much on the other channels  because I think I've only watched about a dozen beauty shows on both, combined. Some of the hosts were annoying and loud, some were lower key. I find the same on QVC. The vendors' personalities also help shape the presentations.Some vendors are more subdued and some are more loud/obnoxious, lol. Goes for both channels. All channels have their pros and cons.

With that said, I don't buy products based on how they are presented or how annoying or likeable the host and/or vendor is- I buy based on ingredients, what it can do for my skin, and how the colors look.

Esteemed Contributor

If I were a QVC vendor, I would ask if I could design my own set.  I'd even pay for it because I agree that an attractive set design can draw in and retain viewers which ultimately leads to sales.

Honored Contributor

I didn't catch that night, but generally I don't like HSN's presentations. They don't seem to do enough fabric close-ups nor even show whole garments so that I can actually see them. They seem to have smaller area for the hosts and vendors so that that part of their staging feels crowded to me and the models just seem to be in a whole other world! I don't want QVC to adopt much at all of HSN's offerings nor their presentations. There's a reason that I haven't spent anywhere close to $100 there in the last 20 years. No matter what they do, it's very tough to erase the bad taste of my past purchases There's plenty of room in the TV shopping world for both stations to exist ---and to be as different from each other as possible.
Esteemed Contributor

The last time I tuned in to watch HSN there was a Yummy brand presentation.  They talked about a pair of pants for ten minutes, but during that time they never showed the pants on a model.  Neither host nor vendor was wearing the pants.  They made the pants sound fabulous, and I may have purchased if they had taken the time to show the models.  They probably did before I tuned in.  The hosts just kept holding them up on a hanger for at least ten minutes then went on to talk about another item.

Honored Contributor

I think I watched HSN once and that was enough.

Respected Contributor

Since I usually don't watch HSN, I must have hit it on an exceptional time point.  I'll take your word (posts) on it. Thanx!!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill