Esteemed Contributor

Clairol reformulates Natural Instincts hair color!

[ Edited ]

Clairol has reformulated the Natural Instincts hair color line to remove the ammonia from the product. The outside packaging has also gotten a makeover and the color developer is now in a tube rather than a bottle.

It's being rolled out in the U.S. now and it's similar to how Clairol reformulated the Nice n' Easy permanent hair color line a year ago. In my opinion Clairol ruined the Nice n' Easy hair color brand by reformulating it.

I only found out about this development when I was in the London Drugs chain of drugstores in Canada and they had put all of their Natural Instincts hair color on clearance with no rainchecks issued if they were out of stock. A salesperson told me that's what they do when a product is discontinued, so I googled online to find out what was going on and why a long term popular hair color was being phased out (and being replaced with a completely new formula and just not new packaging).

I would be very wary of the new formulation as the only online review I've read about the new Natural Instincts hair color formula is that it doesn't color hair very well and didn't mix very well in the bottle either - that was from the ****** Off consumer website. The 2 youtube videos of people who received the hair color for free through Influenster didn't reassure me either as neither woman was covering gray hair or gray roots and one complained about the color leaving her hair feeling dry.

If you use the old formula of Natural Instincts to color your hair, I would advise you to stock up on the old formula boxes before they disappear from the store shelves. My husband uses the shade 4 dark brown to color his hair so I stocked up on the old formula boxes while they are still in the stores.

Here is an online article from Allure magazine's website about the new product with photos of the new boxes:

https://www.allure.com/story/clairol-natural-instincts-at-home-hair-dye-update

Honored Contributor

Re: Clairol reformulates Natural Instincts hair color!

I read the article.  When I colored my hair several years ago, Natural Instincts was the only hair color I used because it did not have ammonia.  It was always ammonia free.  Nice & Easy has ammonia.  Clairol did change some ingredients to be more allergic free this year.  I always thought it was an excellent product.  My hair was very shiny and healthy and natural looking.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Natural Instincts may be ammonia free, but it's change in formula to a new one isn't reassuring at all. I tried the new Nice n' Easy reformulated product about a year ago when it was new and it was not a good product. It didn't cover gray well, it didn't mix well either as the product was a tube of cream that had to be put into a bottle of bleach. The product had a floral scent that would not wash out and the product left my hair feeling dried out.

My point is that if you like the older version of Natural Instincts that while it's still on the shelves you should consider buying it up if that's what you like to use on your hair.

Honored Contributor

Revlon Colorsilk has always been ammonia free, been using for over 20 years, permanent, works for me!!

Valued Contributor

@TY wrote:

Clairol has reformulated the Natural Instincts hair color line to remove the ammonia from the product. The outside packaging has also gotten a makeover and the color developer is now in a tube rather than a bottle.

It's being rolled out in the U.S. now and it's similar to how Clairol reformulated the Nice n' Easy permanent hair color line a year ago. In my opinion Clairol ruined the Nice n' Easy hair color brand by reformulating it.

I only found out about this development when I was in the London Drugs chain of drugstores in Canada and they had put all of their Natural Instincts hair color on clearance with no rainchecks issued if they were out of stock. A salesperson told me that's what they do when a product is discontinued, so I googled online to find out what was going on and why a long term popular hair color was being phased out (and being replaced with a completely new formula and just not new packaging).

I would be very wary of the new formulation as the only online review I've read about the new Natural Instincts hair color formula is that it doesn't color hair very well and didn't mix very well in the bottle either - that was from the ****** Off consumer website. The 2 youtube videos of people who received the hair color for free through Influenster didn't reassure me either as neither woman was covering gray hair or gray roots and one complained about the color leaving her hair feeling dry.

If you use the old formula of Natural Instincts to color your hair, I would advise you to stock up on the old formula boxes before they disappear from the store shelves. My husband uses the shade 4 dark brown to color his hair so I stocked up on the old formula boxes while they are still in the stores.

Here is an online article from Allure magazine's website about the new product with photos of the new boxes:

https://www.allure.com/story/clairol-natural-instincts-at-home-hair-dye-update

Thanks for the heads up. I've been using Natural Instincts for many years. Why do they have to fix something that isn't broken? They probably found a cheaper formula. I'll be sure to stock up.

Honored Contributor

if there is a coupon out to try the new formula then i will try it.

i am not devoted to one hair color. i just buy whatever is on sale and whatever i have a coupon for. they ALL work well for me fortunately.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

I've used Natural Instincts for over 30 years and it's always been Ammonia Free. I've used the so called (new formula) for 3 months and there is no difference. Soft, shiny, beautiful  as  it's always been.