Honored Contributor

Re: Clairol Root Touch Up - new

I read on Clairol's website this is a new temporary packaging, the formula is the same. The packaging change I assume is because of Covid-19 ( maybe it has something to do with manufacturing).

Esteemed Contributor

@Harpa 

I have tried all of the following:

L'Oreal Magic Root Rescue in Light Brown.  This is my favorite.

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 7.56.49 AM.png

Clairol Root Touch up in Light Brown.   This is almost as good as the L'Oreal Magic Root Rescue.  I buy this one if I can't get the L'Oreal.

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 7.54.41 AM.png

Clairol Root Touch Up Color Blending Gel in Light Brown  This is semi-permanent.  I accidentally purchased this.  Thought I was getting the Permanent Root Touch Up in new packaging.  It was AWFUL.  Color didn't last through one shampoo.

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 7.55.29 AM.png

Esteemed Contributor

@Boehm Collector 

Thank you for recommending the Loreal! I'll look for that one, and I think the lighter brown would be better for me.

Honored Contributor

I was in CVS this morning and looked at this product. There are two different packages, one has a clear window in the front, the other is windowless just solid box. I believe the two are the same formula, just different packaging.

Respected Contributor

@Harpa I highly recommend this product...it works and I leave it on for more tha 10 minutes, although my hairdresser says it loses its efficacy after about 1o minutes. Still I usually leave it on for 20 minutes.  sure does the job on my roots and my hair comes out shiney as well.

Valued Contributor

I, too, use the Clairol Root Touch-Up Permanent (picture #2) in light brown. I leave it on for 20 minutes. Does the job since I have only gone to my hairdresser once for a haircut since March. Need to go soon but in  no hurry....not going anywhere except necessary errands.

Esteemed Contributor

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@Harpa 

I have tried all of the following:

L'Oreal Magic Root Rescue in Light Brown.  This is my favorite.

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 7.56.49 AM.png

Clairol Root Touch up in Light Brown.   This is almost as good as the L'Oreal Magic Root Rescue.  I buy this one if I can't get the L'Oreal.

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 7.54.41 AM.png

Clairol Root Touch Up Color Blending Gel in Light Brown  This is semi-permanent.  I accidentally purchased this.  Thought I was getting the Permanent Root Touch Up in new packaging.  It was AWFUL.  Color didn't last through one shampoo.

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 7.55.29 AM.png

I've also tried all 3 of these root touchup kits. The L'Oreal one I didn't like the applicator. The Clairol Permanent Root touch up kit only has enough product to do half of my head. I need at least 2 kits to do my whole head.

The third kit is a semi permanent kit and didn't work very well as I have resistant gray roots. I'm better off using a half a box of the older version of Clairol Nice n Easy (only available at Walmart Canada -- not sure if this is also available at Walmart in the U.S.) to do a root touchup.

I pick medium brown 5 in all brands for root touchup kits.

Trusted Contributor

I didn't realize they have changed this product, I've used it for years and been very happy with the results. It's so quick and easy.  I still have a couple boxes in my stash, so I'll use them up and try the new one when I restock. 

Honored Contributor

@speedy girl wrote:

I didn't realize they have changed this product, I've used it for years and been very happy with the results. It's so quick and easy.  I still have a couple boxes in my stash, so I'll use them up and try the new one when I restock. 

@speedy girl I read the product is the same, they changed the box for some reason due to COVID-19 ( I guess a manufacturing issue).