Respected Contributor

Clairol Hair Food Volume Shampoo,Conditioner and Thickening Treatment.

I was looking for a shampoo that volumes by plumping the hair for my hair is very very long and that usually works best and this was not that. This gives volume by making your hair light as a feather. It smells awesome ( kiwi) but does not linger Silicone free, Paraben free and Mineral Oil free. I also use the thickening treatment on roots as directed. This is a sulfate shampoo but I get the impression it is low sulfate for it did not lather a whole lot.

First for the pros. This will probably work better as a volumizer for short, medium, medium long hair. In my opinion very long hair will benefit better with a plumping product but it is still a good product. Even tho my hair is very very long I had some volume but I mainly liked the "light as air" feeling it gave my hair. My hair also felt squeaky clean so much so I bet i can skip a shampoo day.

Cons: Since the conditioner is so very light I had a few tangles but not bad. I find that since my hair is very long to my elbows ( and baby fine) I need to add a leave in or detangler to condition the lower part of my hair so I can comb but I use leave ins all the time anyways so its not a deal breaker for me. I will still repurchase.

My next shampoo review will be the Suave professionals volume. It is supposed to plump as well as matrix Amplify ( or whatever its called)

/></p> <p> </p> <p> </p>

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Clairol Hair Food Volume Shampoo,Conditioner and Thickening Treatment.

Thanks for the review .... I tried so many shampoo's & conditioners but always go back to Ojon volumizing shampoo & conditioner ... it's the best for my hair .. lots of volume and shine!
Respected Contributor

I wish ojon was still here. I had issues with ordering them direct.

Super Contributor

thank you for the great review.

Trusted Contributor

Well this is one I love. I have fine naturally curly hair that is shoulder length and color treated. My hair is very finicky and I rarely find a shampoo that I use to the bottom of the container. I've been mixing this shampoo with Curls Unleashed and my hair has been very shiny, curly and the healthiest looking it has been in a long time. According to what I've found on various websites, the shampoos are sulfate free but the conditioners are not. Why that is, IDK but I don't use conditioner on my hair except every once in a while as a deep conditioner. I also bought the Clarifying shampoo and the root thickening treatment tonight so I haven't used them yet to offer an opinion. But I've been using the volumizing shampoo for at least a month now. Both the volumizing shampoo and the moisturizing shampoo get rave reviews on all the blogs and review websites that I've read. This line is only available at Target as of right now.

Edited to add that Ojon was awful on my hair. Maybe it was the residue it left on my curls but I threw it out. So those that did not like Ojon may like this shampoo.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Respected Contributor

On 1/18/2015 UMDTerpFan said:

Well this is one I love. I have fine naturally curly hair that is shoulder length and color treated. My hair is very finicky and I rarely find a shampoo that I use to the bottom of the container. I've been mixing this shampoo with Curls Unleashed and my hair has been very shiny, curly and the healthiest looking it has been in a long time. According to what I've found on various websites, the shampoos are sulfate free but the conditioners are not. Why that is, IDK but I don't use conditioner on my hair except every once in a while as a deep conditioner. I also bought the Clarifying shampoo and the root thickening treatment tonight so I haven't used them yet to offer an opinion. But I've been using the volumizing shampoo for at least a month now. Both the volumizing shampoo and the moisturizing shampoo get rave reviews on all the blogs and review websites that I've read. This line is only available at Target as of right now.

Edited to add that Ojon was awful on my hair. Maybe it was the residue it left on my curls but I threw it out. So those that did not like Ojon may like this shampoo.

The shampoo has sulfates in it, you would not find sulfates in a conditioner. sulfates is the detergent that cleans your hair. I tried a sample of Ojon repair shampoo and loved it but I can not find it anywhere. I wish hairfood had a plumping line. The shampoo seems to be very clarifying as well

Trusted Contributor

On 1/18/2015 kcladyz said:
On 1/18/2015 UMDTerpFan said:

The shampoo has sulfates in it, you would not find sulfates in a conditioner. sulfates is the detergent that cleans your hair. I tried a sample of Ojon repair shampoo and loved it but I can not find it anywhere. I wish hairfood had a plumping line. The shampoo seems to be very clarifying as well

I may have gotten the silicones mixed up with the sulfates. Have you tried Not Your Mothers Plump for Joy Thickening Hair Lifter? I recall reading a rave review on this board by another poster. Perhaps you can find your HG shampoo & conditioner then add the Plump for Joy product. My fine naturally curly hair is extremely finicky. Volumizing shampoos tend to take the curl out of my hair and shampoos for curly hair are usually too heavy and make my hair flat. I experimented and mixed Curls Unleashed and Clairol Hairfood's volumizing shampoo because neither on its own worked for me. But the combination of the two has been great. My hair has been very shiny, bouncy & is retaining its curl so I am happy with the two. I'm considering trying the moisturizing version to see how I like it.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Trusted Contributor

On 1/18/2015 kcladyz said:

I wish ojon was still here. I had issues with ordering them direct.

Ojon currently is sold at most of the Origins counters/stores. I guess Estee Lauder owns it all.
Respected Contributor

I just purchased the cleansing conditioner.  It says silicone free.   Smells nice