Super Contributor

What's wrong with me?  I have so many old cosmetics and skin care from ages ago that I just can't throw out.  I will never use them, neither will anyone else.  I also have a lot of UNOPENED skin care items, i.e., Perlier, Clinique, that I can't throw out.  

I know I'll feel so much better getting rid of these albatrosses around my neck, but I can't pull the trigger.  Anyone else feel like this?

Respected Contributor

Re: Chucking out old cosmetics

Absolutely

Trusted Contributor

I think that you can donate unopened, unused makeup and skincare to various places. I donate mine to the Vietnam Veterans of America. 

Honored Contributor

@seaswirl 

• No I don't have that problem. I can't stand clutter so I'm real good about throwing things out.  When I was younger I would go through drawers and cabinets every 6 months and if something had been used in that 6 months I got rid of it. Of course they were some exceptions. How about this, Roundup all those items and put them in a box or a bag and put it out in the garage or on the patio. Just get it out of the house. Give yourself a week or two or three and see how you feel. See if you miss any of it..
Honored Contributor

I don't have that issue because don't like a lot of clutter with my makeup and skin care.  The suggestion @monicakm came up with is great.  It's what I do with unused makeup.  I put it in a box - separate the items that can be donated from the ones that can't - and I let the box sit for 2 to 3 weeks.  Then if I haven't missed anything or decide to keep something, I donate it to Project Beauty.  Doing it this way has worked really well for me.  I've yet to regret donating any of the items that I've sent to Project Beauty.

Honored Contributor

@seaswirl  I think I bought every TSV kit that was offered on QVC for makeup and skincare, didn't matter the brand. And I also bought every Estee Lauder, Chanel. Dior, M.A.C, Bobbi Brown and Clinique gift with a purchase.

Since Covid and wearing masks, I have worn no makeup. In the beginning of wearing a mask, I made the mistake of wearing lipstick.

I have one drawer filled with upopened kits of makeup and skincare. Plus boxes that I never opened. 

I have thrown some out but not nearly enough. I would like to not have to look at all the stuff I bought. But I upset at all the money I spent and never used any of the stuff.

Honored Contributor

@JudyL - I'd never heard of Project Beauty, but I just looked it up.  It sounds like the perfect place to donate all the things I've gotten recently (sealed makeup products), plus things like cosmetic cases unused and other things that they list on their website.

Thanks for mentioning it, as I've been wondering what to do - can't just throw out perfectly good things and I kept thinking there are women who would appreciate them, but I don't have anyone personally to give them to.

I'll definitely look into sorting out some donations.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla @seaswirl - I don't think either of you are alone in how you feel.

I also used to buy all the kits that were TSVs, plus I buy things that come with GWP.  And it's all too good to just throw out.  

But I, too, regret the amount of money I've spent on things I've never even used.  I'm trying very hard to be better about it now.

Honored Contributor

I don't keep anything old like that.  I don't understand to be honest.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I am currently buying only one ahead on shampoo, conditioner, skincare, and mascara.

My eyeshadow and blush collection will last me for many years to come. 

Last week I had to throw away a few sunscreen products that were outdated and that was hard for me. 

Overall, I only buy what I need.