Respected Contributor

Re: Chucking out old cosmetics

I do try to use up an opened product (like a not so perfect body lotion) on my feet or heels for instance.  I do try to share some mistakes with others.  One day last year I took 20 candles to work and shared with my coworkers.  The scents were getting to me, but others loved them, and I was happy someone got pleasure from them.  

I have sent a box or two to project beauty.  It’s a great cause.  I have since really reduced my spending and splurging on too much excess beauty products.  I haven’t bought a kit from QVC for a long time.  Still working down my stash.  

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@JudyL - I'd never heard of Project Beauty, but I just looked it up.  It sounds like the perfect place to donate all the things I've gotten recently (sealed makeup products), plus things like cosmetic cases unused and other things that they list on their website.

Thanks for mentioning it, as I've been wondering what to do - can't just throw out perfectly good things and I kept thinking there are women who would appreciate them, but I don't have anyone personally to give them to.

I'll definitely look into sorting out some donations.

@Venezia - so glad you checked out Project Beauty and are thinking of sending a box to them.  I have a box that I'll be sending to them shortly.   

Respected Contributor

I think sometimes we think about how much money we've spent on these products 

Honored Contributor

I have some AD's that I had to have because I was afraid I'd run out. Problem is - I didn't use up the original before the next one expired!   Smiley Embarassed

Women's shelters will take new cosmetics that have not been opened. 

I have returned cosmetics only once or twice. I've never used them. The stores still have to discard them, which makes me sad. So I would rather pass them on. 

I have to convince myself I will either be able to get the same product when I run out, or be able to get something similar. 

But I hope I never have to give up trying new products!   Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

I believe project beauty does take donations of some lightly used makeup items too. 

Honored Contributor

@seaswirl   Here's how I rationalize decluttering makeup/skincare: The money has been spent and cannot get it back. 

If items are tried and willnever be the correct shade, etc. It needs to go. Older skincare, opened or not, if you don't like it and will not be using it...out! 

I do try to not purchase any backups until I'm positive the item will be a part of my routine and is showing some results.

Itis great to look in your drawer or cabinet and see only what you use and know the rest has been donated or tossed. It'sso much faster to get ready. 

Honored Contributor

@seaswirl you are not alone, I am guilty of this too. I am very easily swayed by bloggers and QVC presentations of products. I have more than I feel I can use ( it's an illness like hoarding), I will from time to time purge my stash. I get annoyed with myself with how much money I have wasted. 

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@seaswirl  I think I bought every TSV kit that was offered on QVC for makeup and skincare, didn't matter the brand. And I also bought every Estee Lauder, Chanel. Dior, M.A.C, Bobbi Brown and Clinique gift with a purchase.

Since Covid and wearing masks, I have worn no makeup. In the beginning of wearing a mask, I made the mistake of wearing lipstick.

I have one drawer filled with upopened kits of makeup and skincare. Plus boxes that I never opened. 

I have thrown some out but not nearly enough. I would like to not have to look at all the stuff I bought. But I upset at all the money I spent and never used any of the stuff.

@drizzellla   Especially the Q kits and TSVs include mascaras I do not use or a brush which is aduplicate ofone Ihave...unnecessary money added to the "bundle". 

At the dept. store, free gifts or gifts with purchase are not really free.You usually need to spend a certain amount to qualify. I try to resist temptation.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@seaswirl  - I suggest donating these items to Project Beauty Share.  If you hang on to them, they will go to waste.  Donate them to someone in need that will enjoy them.

Project Beauty Share is currently accepting donations.

Thank you for choosing to donate your new and barely used products to Project Beauty Share®. Because of generous supporters like yourself, we help restore hope and dignity to the lives of thousands of women and their families.

You can drop off or mail your donations directly to our warehouse: Our address is 2718 E Sprague Ave, Spokane WA 99202. Warehouse hours are M-Th 9am-2pm.

Honored Contributor

I've been tossing stuff for years---got rid of some things after I finished chemo and radiation, 11 years ago--thought brand new, fresh things would be better for my tender skin--then a few years ago--started tossing out stuff again and have continued every so often ever since---am more of a skin care junkie than a make up one--don't wear make up much anymore so that is easy . But still have way more than I need. It is very freeing---and I don't buy nearly as much now as I used to, just the  the things I really use alot-----