Honored Contributor

Re: Choosing a *great* Dermatologist?

@MakeUpMaidn   Get a referral from your PCP.  Doctors know other doctors or are familiar with other doctors.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

A lot of dermatologists prefer a practice that relies heavily on cosmetic procedures. Skin checks don't generate a lot of $$$$.

The last one I had was doing procedures  the day I made my appointment and she was more than an hour and a half late. I removed my mask and she mumbled I had rosacea which was not what it was. Claimed I needed a drug her "apothecary" was the only place I could fill it.😳 she spent 3 minutes in the room. Bill was $800.00. Drug was 750.00.😳

Needless to say, I won't return. 

Honored Contributor

Around here it takes months to get into a dermatologist.  I had a mole I really wanted removed because it was beginning to itch and it was underneath my bra strap.  I had already been told by both my PCP & Gyno that it was just a "barnacle" and nothing to worry about.  I was luckily able to get in with a newer dermatologist in my area.   I didn't actually see the doctor, but the NP was able to take care of it for me.  She said it could be frozen off, but would take several sessions due to the size/thickness of it, so I chose to have it cut off. Took about a month for the area to stop being sensitive.  

Good luck on your search.

Honored Contributor

My dentist recommended a really good dermatologist to me.  I've also seen one with the university dermatology clinic who was excellent.  Ask your PCP for a recommendation.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

A lot of dermatologists prefer a practice that relies heavily on cosmetic procedures. Skin checks don't generate a lot of $$$$.

The last one I had was doing procedures  the day I made my appointment and she was more than an hour and a half late. I removed my mask and she mumbled I had rosacea which was not what it was. Claimed I needed a drug her "apothecary" was the only place I could fill it.😳 she spent 3 minutes in the room. Bill was $800.00. Drug was 750.00.😳

@Trinity11 Do you live in a very expensive area??? OMGoodness who can afford that for 3mins of care!  I have a nightmare experiences with dermatologist and gave up for over 20yrs to find one.  I am just beginning a search based on some specific needs as I do have rosacea and I want to do laser but in my experience the derms never do this or even plastic surgeons.  Usually a NP or trained tech's do the laser treatments on you and the derm only prescribes medication if necessary.

Oh and back in the day the hard pressure to buy there line of skincare!  I can't use most anything on the planet and for sure not what they are selling.  I can remember being at check out telling the girl I am NOT buying anything just paying my co-pay.  

I am looking at the specific laser site for recommendations of local practices and will go from there.  Plus I will ask my GP for a recommendation.  

Hopefully things have changed since back then and I will find some locations to help me manage my disease better.  

Oh there is online these days too....I am considering trying this also just to see if all else fails.

Valued Contributor

Well, first lets start with one who is professional enough to return your phone call.

Living here in Florida one would think they would have a multitude of these doctors especially with so much sunshine and outdoor living, the answer to that is noooooo .

I have phoned several, spoke with the receptionist 's who love to play doctor, they take down all the info you give them, even go so far as scheduling an appointment and you get a phone call the next day, they have nothing for months. Now how is that, I ask you?.

They are more interested in giving you a new face than anything else. In other words, a once over look on the body isn't much monies for them, however it just may save your life.

So, I would say find one with the 5 star rating, one who has a personable office manager and hope they care about you as a person and not how much they can make off your request for help.

I also dislike it when they start off by saying "whats your insurance" even before they take your name,,its just plain rude, shows you what they really are worried about and its not your condition, more like their wallet.

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Trinity11 Do you live in a very expensive area??? OMGoodness who can afford that for 3mins of care!  I have a nightmare experiences with dermatologist and gave up for over 20yrs to find one.  I am just beginning a search based on some specific needs as I do have rosacea and I want to do laser but in my experience the derms never do this or even plastic surgeons.  Usually a NP or trained tech's do the laser treatments on you and the derm only prescribes medication if necessary.

Oh and back in the day the hard pressure to buy there line of skincare!  I can't use most anything on the planet and for sure not what they are selling.  I can remember being at check out telling the girl I am NOT buying anything just paying my co-pay.  

I am looking at the specific laser site for recommendations of local practices and will go from there.  Plus I will ask my GP for a recommendation.  

Hopefully things have changed since back then and I will find some locations to help me manage my disease better.  

Oh there is online these days too....I am considering trying this also just to see if all else fails.

My cardiologist who is also my primary care @tsavorite told me about The Ordinary's Azelaic Acid. 1 ounce for $10.00. All of the redness from rosacea is gone. I always thought I may do laser but this stuff is like a miracle for me. I don't need foundation now. Only 1 week and it looks like my skin did years ago. Fine lines are there but the clarity is back. 

This is the same cream as Finacea but at 10% instead of 15%. No prescription needed! (Sold at Target, Ulta and Sephora)

I had an allergic reaction when I saw the dermatologist from tomatoes. My face blew up but she failed to diagnose it. For that I needed hydrocortisone. Skin care can be tricky for me as I have a fair, Celtic complexion that reacts to everything. 

Trusted Contributor

@CatsyCline   Same experience here with the 15 min "quickie."  I live in AZ so diligently protect my skin and diligently book a 1-time/yr appt with the derm I've used for years.

I went this year and was rushed through as usual.  As you mentioned I asked her about my scalp itching and she grabbed some coupons for some shampoo that should help me???

Then, before the appt ended and she left the room, her asst mentioned that the derm was leaving the practice as it was sold (she was the controlling partner) and she wanted to spend more time with her 9 y.o. twin daughters!!

I'm paying attention to this post for suggestions but will call my usual practice first to see who the doc is who replaced my retired derm.

Respected Contributor

My PCP recommended my Dermatologist......I think he's great.....

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 Thank you....I have tried both the prescription and a few yrs ago The Ordinary's OTC topical at 10%.  It didn't budge my moderate rosacea at all.  The broken cap's and over all redness and break outs have been something I struggle with daily for so many yrs.  I wish those tropicals did work for me as I did use metrogel to in the beginning and it never did a thing for me.

Glad to hear it took care of it for you.