Honored Contributor

Re: Choosing a *great* Dermatologist?

@tsavorite wrote:

@Trinity11 Thank you....I have tried both the prescription and a few yrs ago The Ordinary's OTC topical at 10%.  It didn't budge my moderate rosacea at all.  The broken cap's and over all redness and break outs have been something I struggle with daily for so many yrs.  I wish those tropicals did work for me as I did use metrogel to in the beginning and it never did a thing for me.

Glad to hear it took care of it for you.

@tsavorite have you tried playing around with your diet. I find that I have flares from high histamine foods. Things like tuna fish bother me. Once I gave up all desserts and chips March of 2020, I found I had less redness after a few weeks. Also dairy foods bother me. Just a thought. 

Trusted Contributor

@MakeUpMaidn   I'll tell you how I found mine: I asked my PC, looked up the list in my insurance directory and then put that question out in my community FB page (private). There are only so many dermatologists in my area and I quickly found out who was popular, who wasn't and why.

The one my PC suggested had a slick web page, gorgeous skin, a large office and had all the qualifications that someone listed. But....her office protocol and her attitude plus the issues other had with her told me to run. I attempted 3 times to make an appointment for some serious moles/things and that I knew they had to be removed and biopsied. 3 months to see her (greet and meet), THEN 3 months for the visit to look at the moles and determine what she wanted to do and then 3 MORE months for an appointment to do the removal.Are you freaking kidding me? Yeah, no.

I called a few other but didn't want to see a PA, I wanted to see a DOCTOR. Another issue with many practices today is you see them or a NP but get billed a doctor fee. Nope.

Finally I called a practice after speaking to many who raved about it. Drove a bit but my doc is FABULOUS! His education, his residency and specialty are exactly what I was looking for. Love him!!

This didn't happen overnight. It took me almost 2 years to find him. Good docs, IMHO, are difficult to find but worth the effort.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Respected Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

@CatsyCline   Same experience here with the 15 min "quickie."  I live in AZ so diligently protect my skin and diligently book a 1-time/yr appt with the derm I've used for years.

I went this year and was rushed through as usual.  As you mentioned I asked her about my scalp itching and she grabbed some coupons for some shampoo that should help me???

Then, before the appt ended and she left the room, her asst mentioned that the derm was leaving the practice as it was sold (she was the controlling partner) and she wanted to spend more time with her 9 y.o. twin daughters!!

I'm paying attention to this post for suggestions but will call my usual practice first to see who the doc is who replaced my retired derm.

@pdlinda    my derm is a sole practioner and her husband is her office assistant. they are in their late 50s.  each year their faces seem to get more distorted from botox and fillers (lip fillers too! oy). she injects him and i think she does her own injections.   he has like zero personality - because she watches him like a hawk.  paying my co-pay,  say i chat with him about the weather... she'll pop right up at the desk. i just go in, get the gown on, she comes in does a quick check - yah like 3 minutes - and says i'll meet you at the desk.  uneasy feeling is how i describe the visits.