Contributor

Hello rt4:  What a timely question you have posed !  I just placed an order with bodytime.com  .  They are located in Berkeley, CA.  I used to purchase this fragrance when I lived in California and remembered it just recently.  I did research on where to locate this product, as I know Amazon sells a product that might be similar, but is not the same.  Body Time used to be a different name, but they changed it over the years.  Once I placed my order for the China Rain, it was the exact same fragrance that I used to wear back in the day.  I hope this has proved helpful to you.  If you need their #, it is: 1-888-649-2639. (I don't know if I am allowed to provide this information on here, but I'm going to try.)  They have other oils and other products on their website, as well.  Good luck ! Smiley Happy

New Contributor

Actually, China Rain was originally created and sold at The Body Shop on Telegraph Ave in Berkeley. The owners sold the name to the London based company whose shops we see in malls everywhere. After they sold their name they became Body Time. Terra Nova is their wholesale division. 

Going to the Body Shop was always such a treat because they didn't mind how long you lingered and sampled different scents; and their body butters, and  lotions were always beyond compare. I've smelled  other manufacturer's versions of China Rain and it's never quite the same. Interestingly, I was wearing Kai in the office one day and a male colleague asked if it was China Rain. I was impressed he knew China Rain, but Kai does remind me of it.

Honored Contributor

I read that body time, is owned by a person that once worked for  teranova.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Regular Contributor

The store is now called Body Time! They were/are a chain based around the Berkeley area! The used to be called Body Shop but when the UK company came into the US, they purchased or somehow claimed that name.

Body Time back in the late 80s was the first place I ever ever saw pure Shea butter! And I paid a fortune for the tiniest amount. I used to get China rain scented products there and their famous lemon hair rinse by the gallon! They no longer sell that but do have a somewhat similar citrus conditioner. 

Highly recommend them! Lovely people. Get your China rain there!  I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers them Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

@TuesdayTaylor wrote:

China Rain is made by Terra Nova and is still available online.  It's available in an oil and a perfume.  I used to own it and your message makes me want to revisit it again.  I remember Pamela Anderson saying that she wore it.  Smiley Happy  I like a lot of the Terra Nova bath products, especially the Pikake ones.

This sounds interesting! I will have to check out Terra Nova. Thanks for the rec.

Honored Contributor

Speaking of little shops in California, there is one called Bubbles (in Arcata, a little college town behind the Redwood Curtain).  If you discover you like the scent of China Rain, they carry several products (oil, shower gel, lotion and more) in a variety of fragrances -- China Rain included.  Google Bubbles Arcata.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Regular Contributor

@just bee What a lovely website the bubbles-arcata dot com, their store must be similar to body time! And to be around so long, they must be doing something right, thank you for suggesting them! 

Honored Contributor

@cerinthe wrote:

@just bee What a lovely website the bubbles-arcata dot com, their store must be similar to body time! And to be around so long, they must be doing something right, thank you for suggesting them! 

I shopped there when I was a student, thirty-something years ago.  I'd order from them, but I still have so many other products to use up, it may be 2022 before I get a chance!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

I was curious, so I ordered a small bottle of the China Rain Perfume Oil from Body Time & it came in the mail today.  I love it!  I put some on  & I can't stop sniffing my wrist!  It reminds me of something I wore many years ago & can't quite place, but it's very nice. I was born & raised in SoCal, so maybe it or something similar was available there at some point.   Thanks to whoever recommended this site & fragrance

Trusted Contributor

That's great, aubnwa!  Now I want to get it again, too!  I really like their Pikake-scented products, as well - it's like Hawaii in a bottle!