Honored Contributor

Re: Cheap teeth whitening at home

[ Edited ]

Advice from DD (hygienist for over 20 yrs.): Using too many tooth whitening products are abrasive to teeth and can make teeth sensitive to cold or hot. Excessive brushing can also wear away enamel & make teeth more porous to staining & harm gum tissue. Home whitening kits rarely stay on teeth long enough to be effective...mix w/ saliva and weaken the solution. She recommends if teeth are badly stained, have your dental hygienist do a professional whitening treatment in office. Then avoid foods that stain: red wine, blueberries, blackberries, dark juices like grape juice, a lot of tea & coffee, etc. Most teeth are naturally off-white and will never be sparkly, true white. To obtain that, those are likely veneers, which by the way, do not stain. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Advice from DD (hygienist for over 20 yrs.): Using too many tooth whitening products are abrasive to teeth and can make teeth sensitive to cold or hot. Excessive brushing can also wear away enamel & make teeth more porous to staining & harm gum tissue. Home whitening kits rarely stay on teeth long enough to be effective...mix w/ saliva and weaken the solution. She recommends if teeth are badly stained, have your dental hygienist do a professional whitening treatment in office. Then avoid foods that stain: red wine, blueberries, blackberries, dark juices like grape juice, a lot of tea & coffee, etc. Most teeth are naturally off-white and will never be sparkly, true white. To obtain that, those are likely veneers, which by the way, do not stain. 

@Shanus 

I use a whitening gel with a custom tray (I had made by a dentist). The gel never comes in contact with my saliva and it stays on my teeth, away from the gums, the entire time until I rinse it out at the end of the session. The last time I went to my dentist, he said my teeth were incredibly white. I've been doing it for a long time and my teeth are in good shape. I don't use any abrasive stuff on them including whitening toothpastes, baking soda or anything like that. I also put fluoride treatment gel on my teeth often so that builds up the enamel and makes the teeth strong and resistant to chipping, cracking and cavities....best thing ever!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus 

I use a whitening gel with a custom tray (I had made by a dentist). The gel never comes in contact with my saliva and it stays on my teeth, away from the gums, the entire time until I rinse it out at the end of the session. The last time I went to my dentist, he said my teeth were incredibly white. I've been doing it for a long time and my teeth are in good shape. I don't use any abrasive stuff on them including whitening toothpastes, baking soda or anything like that. I also put fluoride treatment gel on my teeth often so that builds up the enamel and makes the teeth strong and resistant to chipping, cracking and cavities....best thing ever!

@SilleeMee   I assume the tray made by your dentist is the equivalent of sitting in the office and having the treatment done there. DD said that's the most effective method. Must have the tray to keep the solution on the teeth. I think she was doubting the efficacy of the pens, etc. that only stay on teeth a short time & does mix w/ saliva. 

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus 

I also had my dentist make a custom tray and it lasted for about 10 years.  I had another one made last year.  I purchase Opalescencewhitening gel online.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hydrogen peroxide can be harmful irritating and damaging to the mouth mucosa and even cause oral cancer in some cases if used daily and at a strong solution. Not a good idea to use as a  mouth rinse.  Just on teeth is fine if not too strong.

Honored Contributor

I use either Crest 3D White or Colgate Optic White toothpastes, I alternate using them. 

Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree Old spice and Canoe.  Still to this day those scents bring me back to childhood! 

Honored Contributor

Teeth are not white like a piece of white paper and I think it looks terrible when people use these whitening kits for their teeth.  I think the Hydrogen Peroxide and baking soda method is probably best.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Teeth are not white like a piece of white paper and I think it looks terrible when people use these whitening kits for their teeth.  I think the Hydrogen Peroxide and baking soda method is probably best.

@Katcat1   As with most things cosmetic, celebs set the bar high. Many of them have veneers.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Why are teeth getting stained In the first place?

For me, due to drinking coffee and tea. Red wine can also stain teeth