Respected Contributor

Re: Cheap teeth whitening at home

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee 

Baking soda is NOT abrasive in the least--much less "very" abrasive. That is simply a fallacy. As a matter of fact, baking soda comes in right behind plain water on the RDA (Relative Dentin Abrasion) scale.

toothpaste-RDA-abrasive-levels-abrasion.jpg

@jellyBEANYOU, however, are correct!

What worries you masters you.
Super Contributor

I was using whitening pens sold on QVC for a number of years...in the morning, and in my handbag for touch ups occasionally. Well, when I went to my dentist about what appeared to be enamel erosion on my front teeth, his first question was whether or not I had been using whitening gel pens for any extended period of time. I was honestly shocked, since the on air guest, usually a dentist, claims they aren't harmful...anyway, my dentist said it was a contributing factor if not the primary cause of severe loss of tooth. I have stayed away ever since, still getting teeth fixed, and use Colgate and Enamel toothpastes only.

Honored Contributor

@Moonlady 

That's good to know! I learned something new. Thank you.Woman Happy

Love that chart...it's great.

Trusted Contributor

i been using teeth whitening pens from here for yrs.. they do work i use them only once a day.. my teeth are pretty white.. all of a sudden about 3 yrs ago i got alot of cavities.. i brush my teeth twice a day floss i take care of them.. i asked the dentist why all of a sudden cavities i go every 6 months.. once it was 2 cavities.. the next time it was 2 more?? they asked the normal questions do you eat sticky candies? do you eat alot of sweets.. and i dont.. my aunt said a few yrs ago that her dentist said certain kinds of bottled water can cause cavities?? i asked my dentist.. all i drink is bottled water.. they said yes it can over time? the best water is fiji but im not buying and drinking just that... and i do use a electric toothbrush that i love... gets your teeth so much cleaner... just dont understand why so many cavities? dentist did explain about the grooves in your teeth. i was 42 when i had my 1st cavity??  and i asked if the whitening pens can have something to do with it? they asked if they had sugar in them?? i do trust my dentist. been going there for about 10 yrs now.. i just dont get it. i asked them if i have any teeth left to get cavities lol all in all i think i had about 8 total.

Honored Contributor

My sister was using one of the whitening products that had the little beads in it.  She went to the dentist and some of the beads were stuck in her gum line.  The dentist said he sees this all the time and he wished people would quit using them and they should be taken off the market.

I'm not sure if it has changed but some of those beads were very bad for the environment.  An article came out last year about those beads also harming our insides and gums as well.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnie f 

Bottled water doesn't cause cavities. What your dentist, and others, may have been alluding to, though, is the fact that most bottled waters do not have the added fluoride which has been added to tap water.

Interesting that you should mention Fiji, as that's the water I now drink (straight). I don't drink tap water and, in fact, don't even like water, but I'm a kidney stone formeranimated-shocked-smiley-image-0065.gifand Fiji tastes nice and crisp to me. 

I've never had a cavity (neither have our now-adult kids). DH has had one, so he can't relate lol. And none of the bottled water I use for cooking has fluoride. Toothpaste helps with that.

It's hard to pinpoint a reason for your recent cavities. Yes, some teeth have more surface grooves. Sealants could help. If any of your cavities are between teeth, you might benefit from interdental brushes. I use them daily, in addition to flossing. In fact, I "dip" them in the toothpaste I squeeze on my toothbrush, which does a better job of cleaning. Then I brush away!

Rinses which neutralize acids (which can be even plain baking soda) may help, too. 

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnie f 

Your recent occurrence of cavities could be the result of thinning enamel. That is normal aging teeth. Thin enamel is porous and lacks minerals essential to healthy enamel. Maybe talk to your dentist about using a fluoride product designed to rebuild your enamel, keep it from getting thinner and developing more cavities. That's what fluoride does...it prevents cavities by plugging the pores.

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Why are teeth getting stained In the first place?

Well, just speaking for myself, it's coffee and tea.  And they're both plant-based.  (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Super Contributor

Wow! Thanks for that chart, it’s extremley helpful., along with everyone’s personal tips and stories.

I bought a mineral adding toothpaste for nighttime, as you’re not supposed to eat/drink afterward....or even rinse out your mouth. (just spit out).

Ive used the cotton swab dipped in HP and rubbed my teeth individually 

with it for several minutes. Then afterward brush with Arm n Hammer,

or Colgate Total . This routine is 3X/wk.

Approximately once weekly I sprinkle baking soda on my toothpaste/brush and gently scrub w my charcoal toothbrush.

So I’m using a mixture of methods!

thanks for all the replies..