Honored Contributor

Re: Chaz's Opinion About Coloring At Home

On 5/19/2014 NYC Susan said:
On 5/19/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

I think it's easy to tell when a person colors their hair themselves. It looks .... not great.

I disagree. I've seen both good & bad done by professionals and both good & bad done at home. Kiss

ITA NYC susan!

I have paid big bucks by top stylists to have my red hair come out with pink bands near the roots. Usually what they mean by having a sylist do it is it being even, and covering the roots properly. Also, many choose the wrong color. The biggest mistakes ever are those that choose ash colors, and blondes. Many at home "colorists" get patches in the back. They also make the mistake of using too little tint so the color is uneven. If you have med length hair, 2 boxes of tint are a must!

If one is doing high lights, low lights, and more technicolor tints, double process and ombre' or balayage, a stylist is the best. Home coloring when applied right, and choosing the right color for your hair can be very effective.

Respected Contributor

I only go to a professional for color. I have low lights and high lights. Its a big deal.

Respected Contributor

My current hairdresser gave me the salon products that she uses so when I am busy and can't make an appointment I can do it at home between appointments. If you know the products that your salon uses many of them can also be ordered online so that you don't have to buy the drugstore lines. Sally is also a good choice for coloring your hair at home. I still prefer to get it done professionally since you have to be careful when coloring at home since you can stain the tiles, floor, and ruin many towels.

Respected Contributor

For me, I would not color at home.

But, if someone does, and they are happy with it, go for it.

It is expensive!

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

I started coloring my hair a couple years ago. I wasn't crazy about how it was turning out. I spoke with the stylist, but still had the same results. Then one day I decided to do it myself. I haven't turned back. I'd rather put that money toward something else.

Esteemed Contributor

I have blonde hair and started doing my own color about a year and half ago. I found that Root Touch up by Clairol works great for me...never turns that brassy orange color that some bottle blonde brands seem to cause. I have to mix two colors...which is fine by me because I want the bit of extra that comes w/ two boxes. Cost is around $9 every 4 weeks. At about 16 weeks, I go and get a trim and a professional foil.

I'm not smart enough to do the mix from Sally's...I just buy the box stuff and my hair looks great. I have long hair down to about the bra line. It does help that my roots are a white 'gray' so I don't really have a noticeable dark root.

To each their own...whatever works.

I use my savings towards little mini vacations for my hubby and I. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

ETA to say that if Wen comes out w/ a at home coloring...I might be tempted to try it. As it is, I add Wen CC to the bit of extra coloring left from my 2 root touch up kits and slather it all over my hair for about 5 minutes (after leaving root touch up on for 15 minutes on just the hair roots). That way I get a bit of refreshed color all the way down my hair.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

On 5/21/2014 susan25 said:

My current hairdresser gave me the salon products that she uses so when I am busy and can't make an appointment I can do it at home between appointments. If you know the products that your salon uses many of them can also be ordered online so that you don't have to buy the drugstore lines. Sally is also a good choice for coloring your hair at home. I still prefer to get it done professionally since you have to be careful when coloring at home since you can stain the tiles, floor, and ruin many towels.

Yes, of course you have to be careful. But I've been coloring my own hair for a long time, and this is not an issue at all. I have a towel that I use specifically for that purpose - There's no need to "ruin many towels". And I cover the floor with a shower curtain liner that I also use only for that purpose.

No problems ever. It's so routine for me that I barely think about it. Kiss

Super Contributor

The thing with home color is to avoid being something you aren't. If you were a natural blonde or very light ash shade and have faded or grayed, it's fine, color your hair level 9 or 10. If you are naturally brunette, it gets tricky to go blonde at home. Your root touch-ups may not blend as well and you get banding. First time it may look good but I see so many women with yellow blonde hair, flat one-color with shaded banding at the crown. A colorist is your best bet when you want blonde haircolor. Base color and balayage is the best way to go, IMO.

Super Contributor

Wow in CA its a minimum $80 for color and then they add on if you want a hair cut or my gosh get a blow out. No one knows how to do a blow out, so I have to come home after spending $100 and redo my hairstyle. So annoying and I've looked and looked for someone good. But I can't afford $150+ every 6-7 weeks to get my color done, by then the grays are coming in!

Esteemed Contributor

On 5/21/2014 Ladyjenn said:

Wow in CA its a minimum $80 for color and then they add on if you want a hair cut or my gosh get a blow out. No one knows how to do a blow out, so I have to come home after spending $100 and redo my hairstyle. So annoying and I've looked and looked for someone good. But I can't afford $150+ every 6-7 weeks to get my color done, by then the grays are coming in!

I hear you about no one knowing how to do blow outs or style hair. I think in all my years of having my hair done I've been lucky enough to have two or three stylists who would do my hair they way I liked it (style wise). And of course they moved or I moved.

So now when I do go to get a cut and professional foil...I just tell her to blow out my hair. Good lord she does an awful job of styling..and as you say, all for over $150.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."