Super Contributor

Re: Chaz's Opinion About Coloring At Home

I always like what I can done professionally but like I said, I think my sylist is not using the best stuff anymore. I do like how she mentioned L'oreal and I think I am going to see if I can pick up a box of L'oreal to try next weekend.

Super Contributor

I've always colored my hair at home, I don't want to spend that much paying someone else to do the same thing I can do at home. I asked my girl how much she charged to just do root touch ups and it was $40. so no way I'll spend that much just for touch ups.I have very short hair , but if had long hair, that might be a different story .
Honored Contributor

On 5/19/2014 NYC Susan said:
On 5/19/2014 croemer said:

Well I have been coloring my hair at home for 10 years and like the results.L'Oreal over the counter by the way.

I've been coloring my hair at home for a long time too.

Every professional stylist I've gone to has told me it's best to have it done professionally. Until I tell them that I do it myself, and they're astounded that they couldn't tell. They always say, "Just keep doing what you're doing!"

I'm not particularly talented, but the results I get are perfectly fine. I'm not surprised at all by the response from Chaz. It's exactly what I would have expected him to say. Kiss

Of course

Super Contributor

There's the liability angle as to why Chaz says to have a professional color your hair. I mean, I can't really picture him saying, "Hey, ladies! It's perfectly fine to color your hair at home, with whatever brand that you want to use!".

He's also trying to support his fellow stylists.

We all know just how much it costs to go to a salon, and have the stylist color our hair.

Now just imagine if all those women who heard Chaz say it's perfectly okay to home color, no longer went to the salon anymore to have their hair colored.

That would be a lot of $ that would no longer be coming in to the salon.

So, yeah, of course Chaz is going to say have a professional color your hair.

Was Yuban, then changed to Plaid Pants due to forum upgrade, and apparently, I'm back to being Yuban.
Honored Contributor

I will continue to color my hair at home I use Loreal too. As long as I keep getting good results, that's all that matters. My stylist thinks the color is good too.
Trusted Contributor

I color at home because it is more convenient for me. If I was going to have highlights or some other type of look, then I would have to use a salon. But no way am I paying a hundred bucks or so every month for the privilege of wasting two hours of my time in a salon. Now that my hair isn't to my waist anymore, it is a breeze to color.

Super Contributor

On 5/19/2014 NYC Susan said:
On 5/19/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

I think it's easy to tell when a person colors their hair themselves. It looks .... not great.

I disagree. I've seen both good & bad done by professionals and both good & bad done at home. Kiss

ITA. NYC Susan, I've had my hair colored at Bumble & Bumble for $250! And that was 15 years ago! The color came out off IMO, kind of peachy. They didn't think so. Since then, I've been coloring AND highlighting over the color with great results. L'Oreal and Clairol.

Super Contributor

I've done both as well.

I think there are a lot of variables that can make a good at home color or bad at home color. If someone is only changing colors but a couple shades I do believe you can do at home just fine. But a drastic color change will definitely requires more expertise.

And then factoring in the financial cost of colors every 6 week your looking at a lot of money.

Super Contributor

I always had my hair professionally colored/highlighted until I lost my job several years ago. I was unemployed for quite a while, so I had to stop getting it done professionally and do it myself. I tried pretty much all the brands and decided I like Clairol's Nice & Easy the best. I had done it myself for the last 7 or 8 years and decided to let my current hairstylist start doing my roots because it was just easier. I don't what brand my salon uses, but it has made my hair really dry and frizzy (and he was just using it on my roots). I never had this problem with Nice & Easy and I always got lots of compliments on my hair color. I am going back to using Nice & Easy--much cheaper and apparently easier on my hair.

Honored Contributor

I've done both. I had a professional colorist when I went blonde many years ago but I've been been back to my natural dark brown and just coloring my gray at home. I haven't had my hair professionally cut in years either.

I don't expect any hair dresser to recommend home coloring anyway.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval