Regular Contributor

Re: Chaz Deen/ WEN being sued over hair loss.

@sam96 wrote:

@AspenGrove wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

@AspenGroveYep -  As I read the article I was thinking that I might not have liked WEN when I was younger and had more hair and greasier hair.

For me now, it works well as long as I stay away from CA and Lavender which are both drying for me, but I've yused it for 5+ years without other problems.

@millieshops - You make a great point. I wish others on this board would understand that even though the product works well for their hair (which is great), for many others who've tried and hated it (me, included), the product is NOT what our hair needs, no matter what any sales/marketing dept. says. Simple as that. There is no product on the planet that works successfully for every human, and that's perfectly okay!  I'm always puzzled why some people on these boards fight tooth and nail to convince others that they're "wrong" for not liking a product that they like.  Truly odd.

@AspenGrove I agree with you completely and I am a WEN user.

No product works for 100% of the people 100% of the time, and it's never wrong to respectfully disagree.  Also, no one should ever be made to feel bad for not liking a particular product.

The only time I take exception is when the position is taken that a product is bad in general just because some may not like it, or may attribute it to issues that have not yet been substantiated in court.  And therefore that product is bad for all people.

Strangely, these threads seem to be most popular or only posted when Chaz is making an appearance at Q.  When he's not here....nothing.  The timing is suspect, imo.

I hope you have a fabulous weekend! 😊

Great post @AspenGrove ! (I'm a WEN user now, and past Ojon user and I use all sorts of oils as well... etc.)

Frequent Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

Well  I think people are legitimately losing hair over wen  but also the majority are not losing their hair.   I think its obvious  that some people are allergic to something in wen.  I do not think Chaz or GR should  pay out money over this lawsuit but I feel there should be a warning message on the label.  

I do not understand why it would take 6 months to start losing hair over wen?  if something irritates your scalp I do not understand  why  the person would not stop useing it. WEN Tea tree  gave me a MASSIVE  allergic reaction.  Yet I was smart enough to stop useing it.

kcladyz, I can only base this on my own situation.  I'm not sure it's an allergic reaction that is causing the hair loss. I think it is a build-up of Wen in the hair follicle.  It could take months fo the build to start causing problems so people may not be associating the problem immediately with Wen due to the delay.  They are probably testing various things, including medical tests.  For example, I had 2 scalp biopsies done and had my thyroid levels tested.  Both were fine.

Long story short, I found that I can use Wen; however, I have to rotate it often with regular shampoo to keep my follicles clear.  I agree that Wen works for some and not for others. I think the frustration people are having is that there are a lot of them having the same problems with Wen, and Chaz is not responsive or addressing their issues.  I don't ever recall a class action suit for a shampoo, so there seems to be something different with Wen that at the very least needs to be looked into. 

Respected Contributor

This is just like the law suit with the birth control pills that had the packaging rotated 180 degrees so the inactive pills were on top and the active on bottom.  You know one week of different colored pills and three weeks of the same color.  I took that brand in that time span..  I can't say I noticed the issue because I don't look at the dates at the top.  I just take the darned things with the three weeks of the same color first.  It is the right way to take them, so no bashing that I didn't read the directions.  I've been on the pill for some 20 odd years, so you don't need to be a rocket scientist to take them.  They too are mediating out of court because common sense should be used, but then again.....

You can't teach common sense!

The WEN thing is just like it.  A touch, just a wee touch, of common sense goes a heck of a long, long way!

Honored Contributor

'Wen causes spontaneous miscarriages in women over 60'

Oh you're right! this is fun!

Contributor

I haven't used the Wen products so I can't speak on it personally.  But the class-action lawsuit has over 200 women involved, claiming 'hair loss'....should be interesting to see how it turns out.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just read the WEN lawsuit news coverage, which is now trending on social media, and the photos of customer's 3-inch bald spots are both startling and convincing. When you read the scientific explanations of how the WEN shampoo causes the balding, it's a reasonable argument.

I used one bottle of WEN shampoo years ago and my hair never felt rinsed clean, so I stopped using it. But, I'd never take a chance on this product now. You just never know if you'll be one of the unlucky ones whose hair falls out!

Although these "rumors" have been circulating for years, I've not seen Chaz Dean do anything to investigate the claims or even acknowledge the issue, potentially putting other customers at risk. Maybe if he'd addressed the issue years ago, there wouldn't be a lawsuit. So, I applaud the customers (victims) who filed the lawsuit and stepped up to right a wrong for the rest of us.

Frequent Contributor

Does anyone know or has anybody read anything saying that the women who had hair loss, once they stop using when did their hair start to grow back?

i'm curious if that's their prof that it was from Wen and not other factors.

Occasional Contributor

I have very fine hair with an oily scalp.  Wen was the worst thing I ever used on my hair.  Even without putting a drop in as a leave-in conditioner, my hair was even more limp and flat than usual, and I rinsed and rinsed after cleansing.  I can't say for sure it made my hair fall out but even before I saw people were suing, I noticed I had a lot less hair so I stopped using Wen completely.  Wen is NOT for everyone but for those who love it, good for you.

Respected Contributor

@noonedelights wrote:

Does anyone know or has anybody read anything saying that the women who had hair loss, once they stop using when did their hair start to grow back?

i'm curious if that's their prof that it was from Wen and not other factors.

Hello, @noonedelights. Smiley Happy

I saw some posts on this board from the people that said WEN didn't work for them, and they posted that after they stopped using it, their hair did start to grow back. The regrow time was different for some people. Some said their hair grew back in three weeks, some said it a took a few months, a few said it took several months.

I did see posts from others that use WEN that it works well for them.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder

I am so sad to read about this lawsuit.  I have used WEN for over 3 years.  My hair has been thinning and thinning and about 8 weeks ago i developed a quarter size bald spot.  I have never had a rash and any indication of a reaction.  I have had test after test to determine cause of hair loss.  All of my thyroid tests and hormone tests are normal.  I have purchased all of my product from QVC.  I will be returning all of my product.