Frequent Contributor
Has anyone used a charcoal mask with success for clearing out tiny blackheads on the nose? If so, which one worked for you? My son has sensitive skin (he's a ginger) and has good skin, but is frustrated with tiny blackheads on his nose.
Trusted Contributor

I have the same issue as your son, but haven't found charcoal masks to work.  I use a Clarisonic and it cleans out the pores and makes them appear smaller.  I just use whatever face cleanser I have in hand - the Clarisonic does all the work.

Honored Contributor

He may need to use a different cleanser.  I'd recommend Skinn's AM and PM cleansers, but I'd also add the new pore cleanser a couple of times a week if the blackheads are super stubborn.  I would also recommend a Foreo Luna dupe (look for "silicone cleansing brush" on Amazon).  You should be able to find one for under $20 and they work just as well or better than a legit Foreo Luna.  

If he needs any more help beyond that, Skinn has some new special pore treatment products, one for the AM and one for the PM.  You can look at the listings on Evine and check out the videos.

Trusted Contributor

I agree with @JeanLouiseFinch that good cleansers are key! I love Skinn's AM/PM cleansers, I use with a Foreo luna dupe (thanks JLF!) I have a NuSonic brush that I sometimes use with sensitive brush or silicone head brush (it is more aggressive cleansing)

I also think you should look at the Pore Detox from Skinn! Many raves about it's efficacy in cleaning out the gunk in the pores, especially on nose and t-zone! I don't have pore issues but I use it once a week, just to keep things in check!

Perhaps also a BHA acid, like Paula's Choice 2% perfecting liquid, to be used nightly helps with sebum control and cleaning out blackheads...you don't mention his age but I guess he must be a teen, at least, so that may be the way to go...also Serious skincare has a line for acne that is very loved so check their website or HSN...I think the line is called continously clear...

Good luck finding what works for your son...the suggestions you get here in this thread should help your son to better, clearer, blackhead free skin! Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

If you have insurance, I'd take him to a dermatoligist to prevent scars and get the right treatment.  You didn't say if he has any acne, but it's a positive step with positive results.  A lot of time you'll be given stuff there.

You'll actually spend more money trying to put together treatments by your self.  At least this isn't hit or miss.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Charcoal mask?

[ Edited ]

Borghese has a cleanser & mud called Purificante that do a good job of keeping skin purified. It brings impurities to the surface so I tend to break out until they clear up. You can use the mud for a mask, or just use it on problem areas. It's grey, so maybe that means it's a charcoal mask & cleanser? Evine sells it

Respected Contributor

Two things have seriously helped me with my nose blackheads with my oily skin: Missha's http://www.misshaus.com/skin-care/masks-exfoliators/speedy-solution-nose-pore-cleaning-patch-set-8ea...  

Speedy Solution Nose Pore Cleaning Patch Set 

Speedy Solution Nose Pore Cleaning Patch Set (8EA)

It is like the Biore stips but way more grip and pulling out the blackheads after you have really steamed your pores open.  You can also do an egg white wash applied to the nose and then a piece of tissue to act as the cloth for pulling it all off in one rip.  I love the ease of use of the Missha ones.  They also have a brush that is for use on the nose. 

Nose Pore Clear Brush http://www.misshaus.com/skin-care/skincare-tools/pore-clear-cleansing-brush-for-nose.html  It really helps to get into the pores with an oil cleanser or a regular cleanser, but I use it for about 2-3 minutes just gently swirlling it around the nose.  The brush is super soft!

The other tool I use it a sonic face scrubber for $49 from Amazon. KINGA Facial Skin Ultrasonic Scrubber SPA Gentle Peel Dermabrasion Skin Rejuvenation Anti-Age Device Cordless/Chargeable

http://www.amazon.com/KINGA-Ultrasonic-Dermabrasion-Rejuvenation-Chargeable/dp/B00XUI9PPU/ref=sr_1_1...

There are others that are $100s of dollars at the Q and the other shopping channels, but I didn't want to pop for something like that, so I researched them and watched many Youtube videos on sonic blackhead extraction.  It really works.  You dampen the face and use the right setting, then gently press on the side of the blackhead with the corner and press with a finger on the opposite side.  The sonic waves do all the work.  You can watch professionals using these same models to extract some huge bleackheads.  You also use it with your cleaner to really exfoliate.  I do this several times a week.  I  alternate it with my new sonic face brush that JLF recommended on here for a whopping $18.  It is just like the Foreo Luna but way cheaper.  I love mine and use it all other nights/mornings of the week.  These two have really helped me control my blackheads along with the strips for a quick fix.  Docooler® Silicone Skin Mini Ultrasonic Rechargeable Facial Cleansing Brush Beauty Instruments Pink

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q9NAZSO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I hope you find something you like.  I also maintain things with Borghese charcoal mask and their other ones.  I have them in both bathrooms so I can do a full facial when I take a bath versus shower.

Honored Contributor

Boscia has an excellent black mask that you leave on until it dries and when you pull it off it draws out the blackheads.  It's gentle on the skin. 

Contributor

Re: Charcoal mask?

[ Edited ]

Leelynn, I love Freeman's Charcoal and Black Sugar Mud Mask, it's one of my favorite masks, and I have used plenty of more expensive ones.  This one comes in a white tube and it's not to be confused with their Charcoal and Black Sugar polishing mask in the black tube, which I think is more of a scrub.  I haven't tried that one yet.

I agree that the Borghese Fango muds, especially the Purificante, are great.  And I love all things Boscia, especially the peel off charcoal mask when I want to use a peel-off.   But for the price, you really cannot beat the Freeman charcoal mask!

Honored Contributor

Paula's Choice BHA products help with blackheads on my nose.  She has various strengths you can try.  I am not a teen anymore - over 50, but her BHA has helped more anything with this issue.  You need to use the BHA regularly and give it some time.  In my case I noticed some difference after a few months.