Valued Contributor

Last winter I had a sever case of chapped lips.  The chapped area actually extended to the some of the skin beyond my lips.   Well, the chapped lips are cured nut a small area around my mouth is still a little red/inflamed.  Amy home remedies or products that you can recommend that may help. 

Honored Contributor

@Gayle2 

Check your toothpaste for an allergen.

That is a long time for chapped lips- sounds more like an irritant.

Honored Contributor

Yes, toothpaste look for one without sls.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I wouldn't mess with home remedies.  Find a different toothpaste and try washing your face after you brush.  If no improvement, see a dermatologist

Honored Contributor

Do you use any skin care products with stronger ingredients—i.e. retinol, glycolic/salicylic acids?  

When I used retinol over time I developed dry, red, and irritated spots near my mouth.

Esteemed Contributor

@Gayle2  Try Burt's Bees lip balm. It's available in Walgreen's and most grocery stores. Made of natural ingredients; choice of flavors  and tints if you desire. Keeps your lips moist, supple and healthy. I haven't used a lipstick in over 15 years. Great product! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@Gayle2- Try Aquaphor or A+D ointment.

Honored Contributor

I would try some Vaseline or Aquafor, but if it doesn’t get better in a week I would go see a dermatologist. 

Esteemed Contributor

If you use Josie Maran argan oil or argan balm then try either of them. I have found the balm (especially) to be my go "fix" for these types of issues. I have super sensitive skin so I have "issues" that pop up. This works for me and I like the fact that I know what's in it when it comes to my face. Hope you have the good luck that I do.

Honored Contributor

Re: Chapped skin question

[ Edited ]

It could be a case of perioral dermatitis. Try using a topical antibiotic ointment, such as Neosporin, around the mouth area right way. Conditions should improve in less than a day.  Don't apply any topical steroid creams...that will make it worse. @Gayle2