Valued Contributor

Chapped peeling lips, what will heal?

Hubby bought a new toothpaste and after using about three days my bottom lip started peeling. Stopped using the toothpaste but the chapped peeling continues. I have never had this happen before and not sure what will help. Lip balm makes them feel better but doesn't heal .

Valued Contributor

Re: Chapped peeling lips, what will heal?

Blistex, Medicated Lip Ointment, .21 oz (6 g) - iHerb

Respected Contributor

I use L'Occitane Shea butter hand cream and find that rubbing my finger across my lips after I use it on my hands softens and heals my lips. Or I just apply a tiny dot across each lip. If you don't use L'Occitane, pure Shea butter would probably work. You can get it at a pretty reasonable price on Amazon. 

Respected Contributor

Burt's Bees lip balm is very good and readily available at local retail outlets. I have not tried Beekman lip balm but it seems to be a mainstay in their line. A little higher priced choice is Khiel's lip balm and treatment. It comes in a tube and is wonderful. It is available at the company website and Ulta. Khiel's is my favorite.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nadine - For everyone in my family, Vaseline is the way to go.  Works wonderfully on chapped lips. Can also be put on at night, just before bed for excellent results by the morning.

The problem for you, however, might be some kind of negative reaction to a chemical in the new toothpaste, rather than merely dry lips.  I hope you have not experienced a more complicated dermatological condition due to an allergic reaction to that product. If any product causes a worsening of your dried lips, you may need to see a dermatologist.  I hope that is not the case, however.  Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

I have had good luck with Josie Maran Argan blam/ Doll 10 lip balm and IT Cosmetics lip blam. In a pinch I have used a few drops of Argan Oil on them but make sure it's absorbed before you each or drink anything. All of these work for me and quickly. Hope one of them helps your lips.  

Trusted Contributor

Have been dealing with similar lip issues recently. Haven't changed toothpastes lately so don't know what caused it, but suspect it was a new lipstick. I tried several things to help with peeling and super dry lips. Burts Bees lip balm, Vicks Vaporub, and Blistex DLC in the little jar all worked well, but putting on the Vicks at bedtime seemed to help the most. I think also just wearing the lip balm and skipping lipstick or anything else on your lips a few days can help also.

Honored Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

@Nadine - For everyone in my family, Vaseline is the way to go.  Works wonderfully on chapped lips. Can also be put on at night, just before bed for excellent results by the morning.

^^^drop the mic.gif^^^

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

Beekman 1802!  Hands down!

Pure Goat Milk Lip Balm

Honored Contributor

Order, from amazon DR. DANS it really helps to heal,  it works.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.